New to coffee roasting and H-B - Page 7

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Contrabass_Bry

#61: Post by Contrabass_Bry »

Almico,

Yes, it doesn't appear that you have any want for power!

From what I've gathered looking at your last few posts here and on the "Roast and Learn" thread, your charge appears rather small (8oz) for this type of roaster. Plus, with this bean being a natural process, it will likely prefer a softer approach so as not to burn the external sugars.

Your flavor description of "copper" sounds like the whole roast may have went too fast (or a lot of CO2 from the fresh roast.) Pre-heat may be too high and/or charge too small. If you reference your turn-around point and it's temp, I think you'll see that instead of "warming/drying" the beans, it's more of a "searing" effect (sealing the outside and trapping moisture in the center.)

Nothing wrong with a quick ramp between end of drying and 1C, but if it's not sufficiently dried, there is the potential for internal scorching. Check by slicing open a few beans and see if the centers aren't darker than the surrounding area.

Try to get your turn around point to occur closer to 200 (near the boiling point for water) and allow 4 minutes between 200 and 300 degrees. This nets you two positives: slow, controlled drying/warming and already deliniating the RoR at around 25/min..

After that, you can attempt to manipulate the ramp just as you come into 1C so it doesn't run too hot through the crack. (tee-hee, hot crack!) /childish

Have fun and great work!

Almico (original poster)

#62: Post by Almico (original poster) »

Thanks!!

Got it! I was pre-heating to 400* to keep the TP around 300 for fear of baking. But I will try preheating to 300* which should bring me closer to 200* turn. With the same setting I should then get a gently ramp through the dry before big ramp kicks in. Q2, how do I tell when drying is over?

Yes, I've been doing 1/2 charges to try and conserve beans and learn the most I can. My roaster can do a full pound. After I get my moves down I'll have to make the adjustment to 1# charges.

I sliced a BN23 bean. Here's a pic:

Under the magnifying eye of the camera, you can see the caramelization crystals...cool beans. Hey, that's where that phrase must have come from. :D

I'm not seeing any scorching though. It looks pretty even through and through.

Contrabass_Bry

#63: Post by Contrabass_Bry »

Agreed. Looks good! Is that from your first roast profile or the second? If it's from the first, it would only serve to prove there are no rules, as it appeared to be a rather short time in drying.

I hear ya about trying to conserve or stretch bean purchases...

It's all a balancing act. Long roasts or short roasts as to how much time to spend in drying. Light roasts or dark roasts as to how long to spend in the post 1C development phase. Ad infinitum.

You have a basepoint now for this bean and it sounds like 18hrs of rest did it some good. Keep tasting as the days go by. Take thorough notes. Adjust one parameter at a time. Repeat.

It only comes from the "doing". As long as you take something away from each roast, you'll get there.

Enjoy!

p.s. Drying end is usually defined by a combination of color change (full yellow or gold) with a change in aroma from wet grass to more of a hay or bready smell.

Almico (original poster)

#64: Post by Almico (original poster) »

Contrabass_Bry wrote:Agreed. Looks good! Is that from your first roast profile or the second? If it's from the first, it would only serve to prove there are no rules, as it appeared to be a rather short time in drying.
Yes, this bean was from the first roast. Go figure.

I did another today with a cooler preheat and slower ramp. I think I'm slowly figuring out how to get this rig to do what I want. I'm pleased.

I took this roast a full minute after FCe. I tasted the first batch again this morning and there is definitely something that needs to be roasted out.

MaKoMo

#65: Post by MaKoMo »

Almico wrote: What am I doing wrong?

Also, will Artisan convert to F?

Update: Nevermind, I got it. I'm going to try a roast then I post picks.
Either the Phidget control panel or the Artisan software can be connected to the Phidget device driver, but not both at the same time. Yes Artisan will convert to F. Not sure what you did with that +VIRTUAL device. Could you explain that in more detail?

Almico (original poster)

#66: Post by Almico (original poster) replying to MaKoMo »