Manual Logging of a Roast

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
mike_h

#1: Post by mike_h »

I've just replaced my Behmor 1600 with a Hottop KN-8828B-2K and I'm looking for something that will help me keep track of my roast parameters (time, display temp, fan speed, temperature setting). When I was using the Behmor, I used RoastMaster for the iPad, and it was great, but it doesn't seem to really help much with the Hottop. Does anyone know of any good software (or even just a good logging spreadsheet) that I could use to manually enter data without having to hook up thermocouples and a data interface?

Thanks!
Mike

ira
Team HB

#2: Post by ira »

I'm quite biased because I designed it, but if you have a Windows computer, the manual temperature logging I built into RoasterThing makes logging temperature by hand about as easy as it can be.

Ira

jonny

#3: Post by jonny »

I recently bought my first roaster with thermometry and have yet to get a data logger. I've been plotting by hand with paper and pencil and it seems to work fine. I use a straight edge to extrapolate the curve kind of like how artisan does. You could set up an excel spreadsheet with a basic x-y table and plot. Put time increments in the x column and leave the y column blank for your temperature. Then setup an equation for a third column to calculate average rate of rise ((current temperature entry - last temperature entry) / (time increment)). I may actually try this... sounds easier than pencil and paper now that I think about it...

hankua
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by hankua »

If your looking for paper roasting logs, I've got some you can copy.
hankua.wordpress.com

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by FotonDrv »

jonny wrote:I recently bought my first roaster with thermometry and have yet to get a data logger. I've been plotting by hand with paper and pencil and it seems to work fine. I use a straight edge to extrapolate the curve kind of like how artisan does. You could set up an excel spreadsheet with a basic x-y table and plot. Put time increments in the x column and leave the y column blank for your temperature. Then setup an equation for a third column to calculate average rate of rise ((current temperature entry - last temperature entry) / (time increment)). I may actually try this... sounds easier than pencil and paper now that I think about it...
Yep, pencil and paper rarely "Crash", and you will learn the starting points for the various beans you are using. Paper and pencil are less expensive and take up less space than a laptop.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

SAS
Supporter ❤

#6: Post by SAS »

DELETED DUE TO SPAM EMAILS REQUESTING FILES
LMWDP #280
Running on fumes.

mike_h (original poster)

#7: Post by mike_h (original poster) »

Thanks for the feedback! I'll run through a few roasts and try some of these ideas.

Thanks!
Mike