Do's and Don'ts - First Encounter with a Second hand Espresso Machine

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Bob_Coffee

#1: Post by Bob_Coffee »

Hi

I was looking at a couple of second hand machines and I came across a La San Marco 85s - 2 group - for a very good price and I just could not let it pass. The machine was part of a fast food franchise, but due to lack of interest in the area, the machine was removed.

I bought the machine and now I am looking for the next step - what to do (or not to do) when the machine gets delivered.

Should I take it for a service or try and connect it to a water purifier and start it up?
Any recommendations on a water purifier (what specs should I be looking for)?

I have seen a similar post on HB, Buying a used Rancilio Silvia, but I am not sure if all this apply to my situation.

Thanks in advance.

kajer

#2: Post by kajer »

Take it apart and clean it. Now.

I picked up my machine from light use in my old office. It needed to be decontaminated. 3 descales later and clear water was finally coming out. All seals and gaskets had to be replaced.

Hooking it up to water is what you do when you are done cleaning and need to rinse. That way, you will not be tempted to leave it plumbed in and not clean it.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#3: Post by cannonfodder »

Most of the time they will need a descale, the group gaskets will probably need replaced and the machine in need of a good general cleaning. Fast food shops are not known for their attention to routine maintenance. Then hook it all up, get some good and fresh coffee, dump it in the grinder and have at it. Figure on burning though a couple pounds of coffee getting the machine dialed in. It will also take a long heat up. A two group machine will probably need about 2 hours of preheating to get the temperatures stabilized. I just turn my machine on and leave it on 24/7. When you plumb it in, make sure your supply lines are large enough (3/8 OD) and you will need to put a pressure regulator on it to set the mains to a proper input pressure, usually 2-3 bars of mains pressure.
Dave Stephens

Bob_Coffee (original poster)

#4: Post by Bob_Coffee (original poster) »

Thanks for the advice.

Also, I found your post, Dialing in a new espresso machine, a step by step guide, very useful.

Bob_Coffee (original poster)

#5: Post by Bob_Coffee (original poster) »

Okay, I've cleaned the machine and tomorrow I will be replacing some gaskets and things.

The answer to my next question might seem obvious, but I need to get some confirmation.

My La San Marco 85s 2group is the version with the external pump - which I do not have. :(

1. Now, before I go out and by a pump, can I descale the machine without the pump in place?
I.e. manually filling the boiler with clean water till 50% - 80% capacity?

2. How does the pump work when refilling the boiler - meaning when will it be activated?
When I start pulling the shot or once a certain level is reach then the pump gets activated to refill the boiler automatically?

So I guess my questions could be summed up with: "Is the pump only responsible for filling the boiler or is it part of building the pressure to pull the perfect shot"? (Or is the pressure produced by the natural build up of pressure in the boiler.)

If it is only there to fill the boiler, then I could probably use any pump that can fill the boiler.

Thanks,