Orphan Espresso Pharos for drip - Page 3

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
beer&mathematics (original poster)

#21: Post by beer&mathematics (original poster) »

As I await my Lideux, I am still using my Pharos for drip. I am working on my technique to make my brews better and better, I am wondering if there are any other tips I should use.

My current regiment for Nel drip is:
(both the glass and nel filter are pre-warmed with very hot water from sink)
-setting: 320 degrees
-ratio: 0.06. Usually I brew 18g/300g
-RDT in tumbler, grind, lift handle to grind the last few bits, mild shake
-pour grinds into the cloth filter without brushing the fines from the pharos catch-cup or the lower bearing (<0.1g of dust)
-pouring with BV gooseneck electric with a oven thermometer in a hole, starting temp is approx 210 degrees
-bloom for 45sec
-continue to pour til 2:30 (I'd say I have 200g-ish of water poured) with start/stop technique to not let water above grounds get to high. (With the nel, it is a much slower flow than paper filters)
-pour the rest of the water till 300g and wait for last drops
-last drops around 3:35

This is getting me very good cups. But I *think* I can taste a bit of bitterness.

:?: Does anyone know how much coffee is stuck between the burrs of the Pharos?

I think I can make a better cup if I do not succumb to the temptation to lift the handle and grind the last bit of coffee--because this is going to be at a very fine setting. But I don't have it in me to experiment with how much is wasted in that last bit. It'd be great if someone already studied this (hopefully with cheapo beans) and reports that it is less than 0.5g. I could live with that.

Also, any other tips/recommendations are welcome.
LMWDP #431

Nate42

#22: Post by Nate42 »

Once I shake everything out of the funnel, I've never got a large enough additional amount to register on my .1 g scale by lifting the burr. So yeah if you're doing brew grind don't do that. You can always do it after to keep things nice and clean.

beer&mathematics (original poster)

#23: Post by beer&mathematics (original poster) replying to Nate42 »

I gave it a try and you are correct--I had 0.1g "left in the burr" (ie not lifting the handle to grind the last bits). So for drip I'll stop lifting the burrs until after I remove the grounds and I am ready to clean.
LMWDP #431