Seeking some advice and tips for my new Elektra Microcasa Semiautomatica

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
zopp

#1: Post by zopp »

Hello! So after doing a lot of research and happening across an amazing deal I finally took the plunge and upgraded my espresso machine to the Elektra Micro Casa Semiautomatica. I have not set up it up as I have some questions and concerns. Mainly I do not want to break it by not knowing what I am doing. All my prior experience is on my Breville 830xl.

Upon reading the wonderful reviews here and elsewhere on the Elektra the maintenance and cleaning portion has left me feeling rather nervous.

I have never back-flushed before a couple of questions on it: 1. What type of back-flush blind do I buy? A rubber disk or a whole separate basket? The portafilter is commercial 58mm.
2. Is it possible to break your machine by back-flushing?
Also, it appears I will be removing the whole group head and 2 other parts that are help in by the screw is there anything important I should be aware of other then order in which they go and the heat from the big heavy part? In regards to tamper size it came with a not cheap worthless plastic tamper, but I still want to upgrade to a reg barber. What size tamper should I get for best results?

Finally, has anyone made an "idiot proof" step list, guide, or check list type thing for friends and family that want to use the machine without your supervision and if so would you mind sharing?

Hope to hear back and I look forward to being apart of this community.

Zach

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

Any backflush disc is fine. The drip tray is too small, so put a plastic tub around the drain.
zopp wrote:Also, it appears I will be removing the whole group head and 2 other parts that are help in by the screw is there anything important I should be aware of other then order in which they go and the heat from the big heavy part?
You only remove the group bell to change seals, something I've never done in six years of ownership. You clean off the dispersion blocks when backflushing, that is just the single screw in the shower screen.

Check the parts diagrams
Jim Schulman

zopp (original poster)

#3: Post by zopp (original poster) »

Thank you! So the screw just holds the shower head? Any other care tips or just tips in general that you have discovered overtime?

DJF

#4: Post by DJF »

Yes. Listen to aj. Really, it's just another HX espresso machine. Except nicer looking :D . Read up and enjoy.
"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I don't think so."

zopp (original poster)

#5: Post by zopp (original poster) »

Thank you that is reassuring. In regards to what size reg barber tamper I should get do i got 58mm or 57.9 or less more?

In regards to basket upgrades that will fit; any suggestions? Is it necessary? I am trying to get all my extra accessories in order so I will be good to go once my lido 2 arrives!

Also this will be my first setup with out a sink right at my side. Any tips and tricks for a non-sink set up?

another_jim
Team HB

#6: Post by another_jim »

Quick pointer: hundreds of people read these posts, whether they reply or not. Every time you ask a question, you are wasting their time, since they get nothing from reading your post. Every time you ask a question without Googling or without trying or answer it for yourself, you steal people's time.

I know you are excited about your new machine; but nobody else is. So calm down, stop posting inconsiderate questions, and take pleasure in discovering your own answers.
Jim Schulman

zopp (original poster)

#7: Post by zopp (original poster) replying to another_jim »

Funny I read this as the topic of this section of the forum: Espresso Machines
Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?

What makes a considerate question? And I have done Google searches and have not received exact answers from Google. When googling what size tamper for Elektra Semiautomatica I get 58mm which I do know. What i do not know is whether that means 58mm exact from rb or 57.9.

As for any tips people have discovered through time with their setups and shortcomings and/or advantages they have found is good advice for all. I have read pages of information, but questions still arise. Alas, I thought this was community of people who share a common interest, hobby, and would like to help others in their hobby. Hope assuming this was not a mistake.

Zach

HB
Admin

#8: Post by HB »

Jim's reply is not sugar coated, but he's right. The site's Guidelines for productive online discussion elaborates on this point:
  • Help raise the discussion level. Use the how tos, resources, FAQs, search and search tips. "Newbie" questions are welcome, but they are more likely to receive thoughtful replies if some initial research is done beforehand.
To your questions: 1). 58mm is fine for the Semiautomatica. You can always buy custom fitted tampers or baskets made to more exacting standards, but that is so far down on my list of potential contributors to exceptional espresso, I'd need the Hubble telescope to see it clearly. And 2). You can't "break" the espresso machine by backflushing any more than you could break it by pulling a tight ristretto.

To the best of my knowledge, there isn't an "idiot proof" guide to the Elektra Semiautomatica. But it's fortunate to have two exceptionally well-written reviews with oodles of details, one by Jim Schulman and the other by Mark Prince. The Newbie's Guide to Espresso video series covers a wide range of topics; basically covering everything you'll need to know in the first 3-6 months. Jim's Home Barista's Guide to Espresso covers many of the same topics and then some, everything you're likely need to know in the first year or two. Given the nature of your first question, you may be specifically interested in Espresso Machine Cleaning - Why, How, and When.
zopp wrote:Alas, I thought this was community of people who share a common interest, hobby, and would like to help others in their hobby.
In my many years of following forums, I've noted that thoughtfully presented questions typically get better replies and more quickly. Questions that are poorly researched may be answered, but they're frequently ignored by the more experienced members. Therefore, I assert that it's in the OP's best interest to pose good questions since they're the primary benefactor. A good question = specific, well-researched, interesting, and maybe even thought provoking.
Dan Kehn

sonnyhad

#9: Post by sonnyhad »

You should be able to download a manual for that machine also if you don't have one. It will answer a lot of your questions.
LMWDP 437