Motorizing a Pharos Grinder

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
jagobear

#1: Post by jagobear »

Can i use electrical drill for pharos? Anyone use this method?

pacificmanitou

#2: Post by pacificmanitou »

I don't see why not. Get a 1/2 nut and a corresponding bit. OE sells a lido kit for this purpose, but not a Pharos kit. Just keep your rpms down.
LMWDP #366

hankua
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by hankua »

Yeah I've done it; using a drill driver with lots of torque. Problem is the torque transfers to the Pharos and you need both hands on the drill. Holding it with your feet is one solution or making a stand would be another. To make the connection I used a 1/2" coupling nut with a cap head bolt on the drill side. It ended up more as an experiment than a permanent solution.

espressoperson

#4: Post by espressoperson replying to hankua »

I use a medium size electric drill with Hank's modded part Owner experience with Pharos manual coffee grinder by Orphan Espresso. I rest the drill against the side of my body, hold the grinder down with the other hand. I use it all the time, at least a half dozen times a day with no problems. Just swap the battery out about once a week before it starts to slow down and start bucking. Works just as well with the voodoo daddy mods.

Looking at that picture my trusty old pharos #19 isn't quite as shiny these days.
michaelb, lmwdp 24