Gaggia Classic+Baratza Preciso: Help! Grinder calibration, too high pressure/temperature, and more

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Rodrigo

#1: Post by Rodrigo »

Hi!

I have read many of the posts in this page and I see you are real experts! Please let me bother with my case.

I just got my new Gaggia Classic and a Refurbished Baratza Preciso Grinder, and this is what I found:

1- Shot runs in around 7 seconds!!! Using fresh roasted (5 days go) coffee I tried strong tamping and finer grinding...even step 1-A the finest possible! It didn't help much.
2- The coffee shows almost not crema at all and it is pretty hot and way bitter (already ordered a thermometer to check).
3- Used the double regular portafilter and plastic tamper included with the machine, which is smaller than the portafilter, and tried to tamp evenly somehow. (already ordered a 58mm tamper)

My guess and questions:
1- I think that the grinder might have a calibration issue. The 1-A grinding is supposed to be like turkish, but it was coarser, although anyway the coffee looked good for espresso. Anyone knows how to check the grinder calibration and adjust it? Just in case I wrote Baratza yesterday. In any case, I don't think this is enough to explain a 7 seconds shot.
2- Water Pressure too high: Do you know how can I check if the pressure is actually too high, and how to adjust it?
3- Water too hot: Will check when I receive the thermometer. I read about the PID, will check that or try temp surf.
4- Tamper smaller than portafilter: Do you think that can produce channeling and contribute to my fast-speed espresso? I am waiting for the 58mm tamper I ordered.
5- The holes of the portafilter looks bigger than others I have seen... what do you think?
6- Any other idea?

I will be grateful for any help, I reached the point at which I miss my old De Longhi C155 and blade grinder!

Thanks!

Rodrigo.

sonnyhad

#2: Post by sonnyhad »

A tamper the right size is a must. Can you hear the burrs rub when you tighten the grinder all the way? You need to find that point regardless of what the dial says.
LMWDP 437

HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

Rodrigo wrote:I think that the grinder might have a calibration issue... In any case, I don't think this is enough to explain a 7 seconds shot.
Since the coffee is fresh, unless you have massive channeling, the grind setting is the problem. The grind setting should be such that beads don't show for at least 4-5 seconds and the pour should last 25 to 30 seconds. If it goes too fast, grind finer. If the Preciso won't grind fine enough, recalibrate it so it will. There's lots of threads, PDFs, and videos explaining how. For example:

Preciso:
Preciso (redux):
It would be helpful to know what dose (weight) of coffee you're using. You should invest in a 0.1 gram accuracy scale; they're cheap and available on eBay, Amazon, etc.

PS: If you haven't done so already, check out the Newbie Introduction to Espresso video series. It complements the more comprehensive Home Barista's Guide to Espresso.
Dan Kehn

Rodrigo (original poster)

#4: Post by Rodrigo (original poster) »

Thanks Dan!

I will check the videos and recalibrate.

I have a scale, the dose was at least 17gr.

Do you think that too high pressure may have another problem?

Thanks.

Rodrigo.

Rodrigo (original poster)

#5: Post by Rodrigo (original poster) »

Thanks for the data! No, I don't reach that point...it seems I definitely need to recalibrate.
Regards,
Rodrigo.

Intrepid510

#6: Post by Intrepid510 »

Yeah it probably came calibrated a little coarse, the pressure will help with taste not really timing.