Making a mini pharos mod - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
pacificmanitou

#21: Post by pacificmanitou »

http://www.mcmaster.com/#keyed-shafts/=qk0fqr

McMaster Carr has key shafts and key stock. Could someone measure their Pharos burrs?

Burrs for the Pharos according to Barb are Rossi MC conic burrs, I can't find a North American source for them though.

If I can get those parts taken care of I would be interested, though Im not sure how I could use an adjustment collar without threading. I think this is a good opportunity to add an adjustment ring if big blue can machine it at a decent cost and theres interest. Im thinking something like a mazzer collar on the top of the body. Any musings on this subject are welcome.
LMWDP #366

hankua
Supporter ♡

#22: Post by hankua »

Advertisement
pacificmanitou

#23: Post by pacificmanitou »

Thats it as far as I can tell.
LMWDP #366

redpig (original poster)

#24: Post by redpig (original poster) »

I've been implementing everything according to the specs I pulled from italmill:
Rossi MC conical burrs, 68mm-0.03mm OD, depth 25.0 +/-0.05. Inner burr OD 49.0-0.03mm, matching depth. Bore of 13mm with a keyway of 3.1mm. I don't have my minos apart right now to confirm.
LMWDP #411

wreckfish

#25: Post by wreckfish »

Just got my Pharos back from a friend who was trying it out. Redpig- wondering if you've moved the design along any further. It looks very intriguing!

redpig (original poster)

#26: Post by redpig (original poster) »

wreckfish wrote:Just got my Pharos back from a friend who was trying it out. Redpig- wondering if you've moved the design along any further.
I ran out of steam and got distracted by a cheap Bunn G9 :)

I did end up moving the bearings to where they are both over the burrs. It violates the principals of the Pharos, but I was so envious of the Hausgrind burr view, I wanted to have it for myself with 68mm burrs! There's more play than I like, but I haven't been able to taste it in the cup, so I'm living with it for now. I'll report back after I do some travelling with it and see how it holds up as my only grinder. Also, grinding more than 20g is irritating as I didn't leave enough hopper space (in the bearings-above) configuration.

Regardless, I'm more than happy to share the CAD files if you'd like to iterate. There's not much to them though! And if you are interested in a more extensive overhaul, I think misumi-ec can provide custom shafts (it's where I was looking) at pretty good prices.
LMWDP #411

wreckfish

#27: Post by wreckfish »

Looking forward to the updates. It's probably beyond me at the moment to iterate anything new, but curious to see where this might go!