E61 Precision Shower Screen @ Chris Coffee

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
JmanEspresso

#1: Post by JmanEspresso »

Did a quick search and didn't find much..

Has anyone with an E61 machine tried This?

looks interesting enough.. The E61 grouphead is already incredibly forgiving as it is, even when its driven with a faster ramping rotary pump, its still very easy to pull even extractions.(I was rudely awakened of my canted tamping when I first started using the Vivaldi a couple years ago), but, this isn't ridiculously expensive, and I just put my last fresh shower screen and gasket in this morning, and was going to purchase a handful more of each, and came across this.

If you have tried this, Im interested to hear your findings.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by JohnB. »

Doesn't look much different then the Espressoparts HQ screens I use. Very hard to believe it's worth more then 4 times the cost of the HQ. http://www.espressoparts.com/EPF_228N?& ... id=2334863
LMWDP 267

Bob_McBob

#3: Post by Bob_McBob »

Why do you replace the screen so often? Are you using cheap screens with spot welded rims? The Duetto ships with a screen very much like the EP HQ screen, doesn't it?
Chris

Nate42

#4: Post by Nate42 »

I got one of these on a whim while I was already ordering other stuff from Chris. If you need a screen you may as well try it, its a well made screen. But I can't say I see any obvious performance difference from other screens though. Haven't attempted any actual scientific comparison.

HB
Admin

#5: Post by HB »

I've never tried the "precision show screen". However, it you want better initial diffusion out of any dispersion screen, give it a quick scrub before every shot. The precision screens with ultra-fine holes require this treatment anyway.
Dan Kehn

danetrainer

#6: Post by danetrainer »

These are not the same as the precision shower screen from EPNW...these have a special membrane in them that separates them from other designs. You can google the IMS Italian manufacturer to find out more about the design.

I received one from Mike (mivanitsky) when he ordered two of them out of the UK in December for the Synesso/LM style group. I had tried to locate them a year before...but could not find them for sale in the US or a vendor overseas that was set up to ship here.

In my 1 1/2 months of use I am very impressed with it and feel I will not be going back to a regular group screen. The beauty of it is how it keeps the group clean, I water back flush after every shot, and the residue left behind is a quarter or less than I had from a normal screen.

I am told that above the screen stays exceptionally clean, something I haven't checked yet, but I believe Mike had removed his to look.

Worth trying for those needing a new group screen and hearing some more reports about them.

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#7: Post by mivanitsky »

I purchased a few of these recently from a UK Vendor. To date, I am still unable to find a domestic source for the LM/Synesso/Slayer version of these IM200 screens. Chris' Coffee carries them for E61 and LaSpaz.

These screens are very well made, and rather elegant in their simplicity. They have many large holes, filled with a porous membrane, through which the water passes. The membrane prevents fines migration behind the screen, as far as I can tell. I have used the screen for about a month. In the first 2.5 weeks, I did only water backflushes, and when I removed the screen to clean the backside, there was no residue of solid coffee at all. There was trace oil, which came off with JoeGlo backflush. For reference, the coffee is light roasted, fresh, VST baskets, HG-One ground, Synesso one group Cyncra.

I do not think that the screen necessarily distributes water any better than other high quality screens, such as the new Synesso ones, but it stays much cleaner, and may in fact not require removal at all with routine soap backflushes. Its performance does not degrade over time between cleanings, unlike other screens, even when maintained appropriately, as suggested by Dan above.

I do not see myself using any other type of screen in the future, unless these prove prone to longevity issues in the future. One can imagine catastrophic failure with membrane-pore blowout, and backflush could create a big mess quite quickly. An MTBF estimate from the manufacturer would be helpful.

-Mike

JmanEspresso (original poster)

#8: Post by JmanEspresso (original poster) »

John, Im pretty sure those screens from epnw you linked are the ones Im using at the moment. TO ME, they just look like a slightly better made version of a usual e61 screen. The precision screen looks much different.

Though it seems its as I suspected.. not much of a difference except in the cleaning department. which is cool.

I dont change my screens THAT frequently, but I do change them out sooner that I have too. I probably end up using two screens for every 1 gasket.

Dan, I already DO give a quick scrub.. actually after each shot.. My post shot technique is nearly identical to one outlined by Mark Prince in an old video on pulling a shot start to finish with a rancilio silivia. Actually, its this one here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhxvDusY3jk Though, I never paid a whole lot of attention to whether or not the scrub provided better water dispersion, but this morning Im currently playing around at the machine, and naturally, you are correct. If I just flush after a shot, the water loses that "rain" effect. I wonder if it matters on the E61...

Much appreciate all the input fellas. Perhaps I throw one of these on an order, idk. Looks at least somewhat useful, but Im not in a rush to go get one.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by JohnB. »

JmanEspresso wrote:John, Im pretty sure those screens from epnw you linked are the ones Im using at the moment. TO ME, they just look like a slightly better made version of a usual e61 screen. The precision screen looks much different.
The only major difference is that IMS covers the drilled holes with a perforated membrane instead of a screen. You can see the underside in this thread: IMS shower screen for La Marzocco - First look
LMWDP 267

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by FotonDrv »

Thanks for Posting that Link John! A nice visual on the screen differences.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train