Clogged burrs... Not grinding - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Burner0000 (original poster)

#21: Post by Burner0000 (original poster) »

New burrs arrive today. :) I got an awesome deal from cafeparts.com. I did some local parts hunting and here in Canada the going rate for MX burrs are a wapping $90! Normally I buy from Chriscoffee but cafe parts was able to send me a pair shipped for just over $40.

So here's what I've done so far
- Complete teardown, inspect and reassemble of the entire grinder
- Multiple lower burr carrier cleaning and inspections
- Motor mount lock nut replacement. (The grinder is quieter now so I guess it needed that)
- Today new burr replacement.

Fingers crossed after today I'll be able to grind normally again.. My Skerton has been holding steady the last few weeks. :)

I think my right arm muscles are getting stronger from hand grinding soo much. Haha!
Roast it, Grind it, Brew it!.. Enjoy it!..

#22: Post by Burner0000 (original poster) »

New burrs installed!

Once calibrated I was able to pull pretty good espresso on the first try. Still gotta dial in more tho. The old burrs were definitely worn and or damaged. On the Macap collar I was down to a "2" which I calibrated as the "0" point on the new burrs. Espresso range was 1/8 collar turn back so it goes to show how worn the burrs were. So far no clogging. :)

#23: Post by Burner0000 (original poster) »

So I can officially say this problem is fixed. I've dialed in the grinder with a ton of room left before zero point. Worn burrs was definitely the culprit. I must have damaged them with a stone or maybe during the mod and managed to get by for a while until they finally went. Other than some static due to -13'C weather it's working beautifully. :D

Thanks everyone!