Baratza Vario with Forte Portaholder - Page 5

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
jamie@morgans.ca

#41: Post by jamie@morgans.ca »

The Vario now ships with a cast portaholder like the Forte. It is available with two different fork sizes; 56 mm and 65 mm. My grinder came with 65 mm which is too long for my Grimac La Uno with an E61 portafilter. Contact support@baratza.com to get the correct size.

JDolezal

#42: Post by JDolezal »

jamie@morgans.ca wrote:The Vario now ships with a cast portaholder like the Forte. It is available with two different fork sizes; 56 mm and 65 mm. My grinder came with 65 mm which is too long for my Grimac La Uno with an E61 portafilter. Contact support@baratza.com to get the correct size.
This happened to me as well, and this thread was the only evidence I could find that two fork sizes even existed. I wonder what Baratza's thinking is behind randomly giving out different sized forks..?

Espressonia

#43: Post by Espressonia »

Attempting to adjust the 65mm to hold the naked PF caused the fork to protrude far enough that it was impossible to insert the Portaholder into the grinder.
I just came across this post, and now I am curious I just got my Vario 2 weeks ago, I have been using the portaholder and container because it is so messy. So I saw this today and attempted to ajust the fork but then the bar at the top is too high to fit in the grinder, I included a picture (if it works), I am wondering if I have one with the 65mm holder?

Oh I am using it with my Breville DB 58mm

This is as high as I could get the forks adjusted.

JDolezal

#44: Post by JDolezal »

It looks like you have the larger/longer fork. Just send baratza support an email and they'll mail you the smaller version, no questions asked.

Séb

#45: Post by Séb »

I use an aluminium funnel from OE and it works perfectly with my Forte and hold itself too.

SonVolt

#46: Post by SonVolt »

So glad I found this thread! I was getting frustrated trying to raise the forks to fit my Profitec's portafilters only to not be able to snap the portalholder back in place. I sent Baratza an email - I hope they're still sending out the smaller forks.

neutro

#47: Post by neutro »

Ok so you can actually adjust the height of the fork?

Slowly catching up here :D

... And if it doesn't go up enough (which is likely since I have a Profitec too) there is a shorter one available through Baratza support?

(My counter *is* a mess alright)

SonVolt

#48: Post by SonVolt replying to neutro »

Yep. I emailed Bartza about it and they're shipping me the smaller forks free. Great customer service.

Gig103

#49: Post by Gig103 »

This looks like a great addition to the Vario. Crazy that on page 1, it was a $15 add-on, and now it's $45. I'm not saying that it isn't sturdy and worth it, but that gap is a game changer... prior it was the same as an OE funnel!