The road to a great Indonesian roast profile

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
GregR

#1: Post by GregR »

Took quite a few roasts til I got something I was happy with. I've experimented with each phase and had no good results.
Finally, now I remember why I love a good Sumatra so much. The sweetness is off the charts with my last two attempts. First is a Sumatra G1 Mandheling:

For the Huky a 4:30 dry time is a little on the long side but appears to be just right for this bean. Then a 5:30 ramp which was longer than what I'd been using, then a 4 minute finish. No grassy notes at all (the overpowering defect in my previous roasts). That's my recipe, and I'll be trying it again soon :)
Second success was with Java Pak Kanda. It's even sweeter, remarkably rich and without any bitterness or grassy notes, with only 4 days rest. This will be blended with a Yemen roast I did the same day, just couldn't wait to take a taste. The Java profile was slightly different, not intentionally though- just wasn't on the ball during the ramp phase so it was 30 seconds shorter than I intended.

rgrosz

#2: Post by rgrosz »

Can you post the times for 1Cs, 1Ce and drop? I can't quite read them from your graph. I'm looking forward to my next attempt at a Sumatran. It was pretty good, but the roast was WAY too fast.

Roaster - Hottop B-2K with variac
I targeted a drop at 3:30 after start of first crack, but hit second crack outliers at 2:30
Charge weight 182g
Charge temp ET 230 F  
First crack  10:33 - 363 F
Drop         13:06 - 404 F
NOTE - my thermocouples read 30 degrees lower than most others. As noted in this post at Sweet Maria's, I have virtually identical readings as Barrie. We both have identical Omega probes installed in the same location on our Hottops.
LMWDP #556
Life is too short to drink bad wine - or bad coffee

GregR (original poster)

#3: Post by GregR (original poster) »

I have old eyes and a monitor set to 1920x so I know exactly what you mean.
For the Mandheling first crack began right about 10:00 and I marked the end at about 11:15. Drop was about 13:50. And for the Java, first came at came at 9:20, ended at 10:35 and I ended the roast at 13:15. All these numbers are give or take 5-10 seconds since sometimes I hit the mouse first, sometimes the actual roaster controls. You know how that goes :)

elltydd

#4: Post by elltydd »

Hey Greg,

I just grabbed a few pound samples of various wet-hulled Indonesians. I'm considering starting with your first profile you posted. Looking at that profile for the Mandheling, are you pushing the heat as you leave the drying phase?

Thanks!

rgrosz

#5: Post by rgrosz »

Roaster - Hottop B-2K with variac

I targeted a drop at 3:30 after start of first crack. My prior roast was too fast, so I slowed things down before / after 1st crack. Definitely pleased with my results this time.
Charge weight 215g
Charge temp ET 275 F  
Turn point     1:08 - 148 F
First crack   10:53 - 359 F
Drop          14:29 - 386 F
Yield         180g
Weight loss   16.3%
Quakers - none
NOTE - my thermocouples read 30 degrees lower than most others. As noted in this post at Sweet Maria's, I have virtually identical readings as Barrie. We both have identical Omega probes installed in the same location on our Hottops.

LMWDP #556
Life is too short to drink bad wine - or bad coffee

GregR (original poster)

#6: Post by GregR (original poster) »

I don't know why but Sumatras seem to be the most difficult origin for me. Anyhow- on the roast that was by far the best of the Sumatras I've done in the Huky I upped the fan to 40% for 15-20 seconds but no heat increase until about a minute later at 310F. There was a 5:30 stretch and 3:45 finish. I savored every shot of that pound. Since then I did one more pound of that same bean with a ten second longer drying phase, ten second shorter ramp and 15 second shorter finish- and guess what- not as good. I enjoyed it but it didn't have the same in my face sweetness.

elltydd

#7: Post by elltydd replying to GregR »

Thanks for posting this followup. I was actually staring at this thread last night, and swore I posted a reply to it.

But anyway, I'm in the same boat. A profile for a Mandheling that came out beautiful made a Lintong taste grassy and flat.

What I was going to ask yesterday was whether you are pushing the heat as you leave the drying phase. It looks like your env. temp is ramping so I'm guessing so?

GregR (original poster)

#8: Post by GregR (original poster) »

Actually no additional heat from the stove at dry end- a bump from the the fan (40% for 15 seconds roughly) to assist in clearing moisture from the drum is all. I'm looking at my notes now- I lowered the heat at the turn around point (195F) from 2.5 to 2.0 kPa and didn't raise it til the beans were 320F, which was two minutes after dry end (6:30). At 320F the heat to 3kPa for about one minute then back down to 2.5 til a BT of 365F, at which point the heat dropped way down to about .75 and then to .25 (nearly off) when first crack started.
Don't think I mentioned it but right now I've got the solid drum and fast motor installed and I've been leaving the vent fully open for the whole roast.

elltydd

#9: Post by elltydd »

Gotcha I see now. Thanks! I have a Lintong resting to see how a bit faster drying treats it.

JavaMD
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by JavaMD »

Interesting thread ... thanks.
One of my favorite beans is the Sumatran Onan from SM.
On my Gene café I had it dialed in.
Now on the Santoker Rev 500 .. it is a bit more elusive.
After reading this thread and realizing my roasting times dramatically went down with my new roaster ... I tried a 12 and 13 min roast last night. This am tried both and the 12 minute roast won.
will continue to work on it but really think the longer drying and malliard times are key.

Steve