Problems with metal filter for Hario Sommelier

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
hugo03

#1: Post by hugo03 »

i recently purchased a hario sommelier vacuum press. it came with a cloth filter and a metal filter. The cloth filter works great but the metal filter comes apart during the brewing process. Has anyone had a similar experience or have any solutions?

Eastsideloco

#2: Post by Eastsideloco »

Looks like a nice brewer. Had not seen that before.

Can you take a picture to show how the metal filter is coming apart?

The photo online don't show the filter in enough detail to hazard a guess about what is going on.

I recently got new cloth filters for a Kono siphon and prefer the results in the cup compared to the metal filter I'd been using for months. The metal is easier to clean, however. And metal is definitely the way to go if you like a coffee with a lot of body. (Although too many suspended solids is arguably a false body.)

hugo03 (original poster)

#3: Post by hugo03 (original poster) »

Eastsideloco

#4: Post by Eastsideloco »

Got it. Perhaps it's designed to come apart for ease of cleaning. Is it coming apart when the water travels up the funnel?

The rubber part is designed as an edge seal. It must have a groove that the meatal pieces are intended to seat inside. If it's not staying together after things are seated properly, you might want to ask Hario for a replacement.

chang00

#5: Post by chang00 »

Here is a FB picture of the SCA 5 metal filter assembled:

https://zh-tw.facebook.com/dr.bean.elvi ... 2172660861

hugo03 (original poster)

#6: Post by hugo03 (original poster) replying to chang00 »

thx for the link. i think i had the rubber gasket upside down. hopefully this does the trick

Eastsideloco

#7: Post by Eastsideloco »

Easy mistake to make. I've never seen a metal filter made quite the same way. I bet that fixes your problem. (And I bet that metal filter works better than the one I have at home.)

Way to g00, Chang00.