220V Male - Female Adapter

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
phillip canuck

#1: Post by phillip canuck »

I have two Model 80 La San Marco espresso machines, one semi-automatic and one lever machine. The lever machine is almost complete in it's rebuild La San Marco Model 80 Lever rebuild

The semi-automatic machine, not so much. I've had it for a year and haven't even started. Sigh.

The semi is 220V 2500W about 11A
The lever is 220V 1350W about 7A

The semi-automatic has a NEMA L6-20 plug.
I have an unused NEMA 14-30R receptacle. It used to be the electric oven, but now that is gone and I have a gas oven.

The solution: Can I use an adapter to connect the two? I don't see any reason why I cannot. It seems with the advent of electric cars a lot of people are running into similar problems, which is how I came across this website full of adapters...http://www.evseadapters.com/adapters-fo ... n-leaf.php

Second Problem
The lever machine has a four line power cord with exposed ends and the blue (neutral) and black (hot) lines are twisted together {the other two are brown (hot) and green/yellow (ground)}.

Should I just replace the existing 4-wire power cord with a new 3-wire cord and attach it to an L6-20 plug? Or, should I just leave the blue and black twisted and attached to an L6-20 plug?

I feel completely comfortable making new power cords. The adapter - for $50 I'll just buy it from them.

-phillip

cygnusx1

#2: Post by cygnusx1 »

Couldn't you just wire a 14-30 plug on the lever machine to accomplish this? Leaving the blue/black intact? It sounds like the blue lead is powering something with 120V.

Chad C.

#3: Post by Chad C. »

The correct receptacle is only $15 at Home Depot, I just bought one over last weekend. My kitchen was also retrofitted for gas, and I used the wires that were coming up from the hardwood floor. $18 with the mounting box.

The four wire cord is from a Canadian or European triple phase electrical system. You can just cap off the odd wire, but if this is the machine's original cord, maybe it should be replaced due to its age.

That lever machine is bitchin'! Too bad you don't like the brown color. I'm slowly restoring an ancient Fiat 124 Sport Coupe that I'll be painting that same color. Best wishes for your projects : )

phillip canuck (original poster)

#4: Post by phillip canuck (original poster) »

cygnusx1 wrote:Couldn't you just wire a 14-30 plug on the lever machine to accomplish this? Leaving the blue/black in tact? It sounds like the blue lead is powering something with 120V.
Yep, that was my original intent, but then what do I do with the semi automatic L6-20? I could change that as well, but each 14-30 plug is $45, so $90 total. The adapter is cheaper.

Thank you!

phillip

phillip canuck (original poster)

#5: Post by phillip canuck (original poster) »

Chad C. wrote:The correct receptacle is only $15 at Home Depot, I just bought one over last weekend. My kitchen was also retrofitted for gas, and I used the wires that were coming up from the hardwood floor. $18 with the mounting box.
From your photo I think we have different receptacles. I went to HD but they didn't have the proper plug. I did find one at McMaster-Carr, but it's $45. This is what I have...

That lever machine is bitchin'! Too bad you don't like the brown color. I'm slowly restoring an ancient Fiat 124 Sport Coupe that I'll be painting that same color. Best wishes for your projects : )

Thanks! Yeah, I couldn't take the brown. My panels are finished and I'll be picking them up from the powder-coater tomorrow. !YaY!

-phillip