Good Buy?: Used Nuova Simonelli MAC2000 Espresso Machine and MDX Grinder

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
mike_h

#1: Post by mike_h »

My local Craigslist has a used Nuova Simonelli MAC2000 Espresso Machine and MDX Grinder for sale for $1000USD. Seller says, "Machine and grinder work great and I will include a couple extras (Rancilio bottomless portafilter with triple basket, tamper, brush, etc.)." In a subsequent email to him I asked whether either machine needed any work. His reply was, "The machine might need a descaling but I'm not certain. It hasn't been used in a while so it would probably be a good idea."

It's 110v and it needs to be plumbed, but I would like to hear your thoughts on:
1. Is this a good deal?
2. I'm new to espresso. Would I be asking for trouble trying to start out on a machine like this?
3. If I bought it and decided to just keep the grinder and sell the machine, how much should the machine go for alone?

Thanks for any input you may have.

- Mike

Chad C.

#2: Post by Chad C. »

If the seller can demonstrate that the machine is in good working order, and that the grinder has sharp burrs, it's not a bad deal. Otherwise you're taking a risk. There's enough help on this board to get you through most of what might go wrong with such equipment, and there's a lot of help for the preparation of espresso drinks here too.

If you have a background in '80's vintage pinball machines and triple chamber water pipes, this might be the hobby for you : )

DanoM

#3: Post by DanoM »

I'm always wary of unknown and untested equipment. If he can demonstrate to you that it works: heats up to steam pressure, pulls water through group, perhaps even run a trash shot to see if the pump works while testing the grinder with some old store coffee. Make sure you test all the buttons.

Generally whenever you get a used machine you'll want to perform a full cleaning minimally, and for me that includes descaling, backflushes w/ cleaner, etc. New seals where appropriate too.

Grinder is best to plan on swapping the burrs. You might not have to do that, but plan on it and if it's usable you're lucky.

I'd try to talk him down some too.
LMWDP #445

nile13

#4: Post by nile13 »

A lot of this depends on your tolerance for buying used equipment. I think it's a pretty decent deal if you can have him grind and pull a couple shots in front of you and the results are good (i.e. no noise, no leaks, no explosions and bent metal).

Now, I was semi-thinking of a MAC2000 and looked at them a bit. The prices are all over the place and so are conditions of the machines. it'd be interesting whether this Mac was used commercially, for example. As far as NS, it's a good brand, unfortunately not widely known in US. I've used an NS Oscar on and off for the last year and liked it. Now I have to sell it because it's been replaced by a QM Anita... and I know that it is simply not a household name like a Silvia, for example.

Rikinwa

#5: Post by Rikinwa »

Mike,

I recently sold a 2005 model Mac2000v for 750.00. I'm about an hour and a half south of Seattle. My Mac worked flawlessly - was plumbed into my kitchen and I was able to show the buyer how it worked. It also came with a bottomless NS portafilter and relatively new triple basket.

I moved over to lever machines a couple of months ago and had stopped using the Mac.

I can say that it is a good machine. Make sure you have a good tech around who can service it properly.

Good luck,

Rick

mike_h (original poster)

#6: Post by mike_h (original poster) »

Sounds like I should pass on this one. Thanks to all for the advice!

- Mike