Comfort style espresso possible from this bean line-up?

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
zammie

#1: Post by zammie »

Hi all,

So I've been home roasting with reasonable success for brew coffee in the last 2 months. I've been enjoying some interesting floral, fruit and even savoury notes from the coffee. So far so good.

I just got my Caravel last week and tried some of my City+ Yirgacheffe and Red Bourbon on it. Yikes, coffee flavoured grapefruit juice! I've since roasted darker to FC for espresso and am improving my espresso technique to the point that today's Yirgacheffe shot was fruity but reasonably toned down. Summary: all this experimenting made me understand why roasts for espresso tend to be darker and tend to be blends too.

Also, I realize I'm more of a comfort espresso guy: chocolate, caramel, base flavours. Based on my stock (listed below) I will appreciate suggestions for blends that will take my espresso more into the "comfort zone" :mrgreen:

Current stock
Ethiopia Yirgacheffe (generic beans)
Ethiopia Yirgacheffe G3 natural Dumerso Woreda
Rwanda Gisuma Red Bourbon
Ethiopia Domo

Incoming stock
Guatemala Antigua
Kenya Peaberry
Ethiopia Harrar
Ethiopia Sidamo 2
dizzy

LMWDP #455

[creative nickname]

#2: Post by [creative nickname] »

Guatemala Antigua coffees are among my favorites for single-origin espresso. When the roast is right (and I don't home roast so I can't help you there), you get remarkably balanced shots, with mingled acidity, bitterness and sweetness, and plenty of body. So I'd start there and then consider adding in other components to a blend if your roasts of the guatemala, once dialed in, don't suit your palate.
LMWDP #435

zammie (original poster)

#3: Post by zammie (original poster) »

Thanks for the tip! Glad to know something in my larder isn't all bright and acidic. Any particular taste notes come to mind with the Antigua?

Edit: Just want to add that of the above, I have only tried the Yirgacheffe (generic one which had the grapefruit, floral notes) and Red Bourbon so far, to better know each one.
dizzy

LMWDP #455

cannonfodder
Team HB

#4: Post by cannonfodder »

Those chocolate, caramel notes tend to be the most prevalent in central coffees. Brazil, Mexico, while the African varietals tend to very fruit froward and acidic shots. You can roast them a little darker to down down the acidity and fruit (close to 2nd crack) and pull them a little hotter. You may want to try a few central origins for that comfort food classic profile blend.
Dave Stephens

TomC
Team HB

#5: Post by TomC »

zammie wrote:
I just got my Caravel last week and tried some of my City+ Yirgacheffe and Red Bourbon on it. Yikes, coffee flavoured grapefruit juice! I've since roasted darker to FC for espresso and am improving my espresso technique to the point that today's Yirgacheffe shot was fruity but reasonably toned down. Summary: all this experimenting made me understand why roasts for espresso tend to be darker and tend to be blends too.

The main reason most comfort food espressos tend to be blends is basically two-fold.

1) Milk chocolate, caramel, nuttiness and creamy bodied mouthfeel are the mainstay of Brazilians, as well as their much lower acid nature. (a lot of Guat's also provide plenty of great cocoa notes too, and are easy to roast to different levels with success) It's much easier to start with a coffee that inherently has what you're searching for, than try to force that out of a longer or hotter roast of another choice (like a Yirg) that you risk either baking or adding too much roast notes in order to tame down the overwhelming lime-aide acidity just to arrive in a circuitous route back to what a Brazilian naturally offers.

2) Brazilian coffee is cheaper.

Try a standard blend with a simple recipe of no more than 3 coffees, all roasted separately (optimized for each cultivar) and blended afterwards.

1/2- Brazil (sweet, low acid, body, mouthfeel)
1/4 Sumatra ( a bit of earthiness, depth, complexity, avoid the funky)
1/4 Ethiopia ( snappiness, fruit, acidity to make it somewhat interesting on the palate)

swap out the 1/4 Sumatra for a clean, chocolatey Guatemalan if you don't want the earth note.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

zammie (original poster)

#6: Post by zammie (original poster) »

Thanks for the tips guys. I confess most of the coffees I have were bought with brewing in mind. I foolishly thought they would work for espresso as well. After years of aromatic but dark-tasting coffee (local coffee is Robusta roasted with margarine and sugar), I was drawn to coffees with fruit (!) and floral (!) notes as they seem a real novelty to me. I thought I could do an Ethiopian lateral tasting of sorts too.

I am looking forward to trying the Guat Antigua which my brother will bring over this week. I tried the Yirga at Full City today and it was still to fruity and acidic to be a straight shot.
dizzy

LMWDP #455

LDT

#7: Post by LDT »

TomC wrote:The main reason most comfort food espressos tend to be blends is basically two-fold.

1) Milk chocolate, caramel, nuttiness and creamy bodied mouthfeel are the mainstay of Brazilians, as well as their much lower acid nature. (a lot of Guat's also provide plenty of great cocoa notes too, and are easy to roast to different levels with success) It's much easier to start with a coffee that inherently has what you're searching for, than try to force that out of a longer or hotter roast of another choice (like a Yirg) that you risk either baking or adding too much roast notes in order to tame down the overwhelming lime-aide acidity just to arrive in a circuitous route back to what a Brazilian naturally offers.

2) Brazilian coffee is cheaper.

Try a standard blend with a simple recipe of no more than 3 coffees, all roasted separately (optimized for each cultivar) and blended afterwards.

1/2- Brazil (sweet, low acid, body, mouthfeel)
1/4 Sumatra ( a bit of earthiness, depth, complexity, avoid the funky)
1/4 Ethiopia ( snappiness, fruit, acidity to make it somewhat interesting on the palate)

swap out the 1/4 Sumatra for a clean, chocolatey Guatemalan if you don't want the earth note.
I ended up with the following blend of similar coffees which I like:

42% Guatemala/Brazil or 6.5 gms
23% Java or 3.5 gms
35% DP Ethiopian or 5.5 gms

Total of 15.5 gms per pull. I blend larger quantities of beans in the roaster with no heat to mix throughly.

rgrosz

#8: Post by rgrosz »

Have you read the lengthy blending article at Sweet Maria's?
http://www.sweetmarias.com/blending.php

About 3/4 of the way down the page you'll see this:
More Blend Recipes: Some Blends I Like

Near the start of that section are several blends that gave me very good espresso.
LMWDP #556
Life is too short to drink bad wine - or bad coffee