Preinfusion, channeling and some other rambles.

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
davebm

#1: Post by davebm »

Hi guys,

An observation or maybe I'm just high on coffee all the time - If I purposely pre-infuse before pulling the shot I've noticed that the chance of channeling in the puck is decreased. Is this statement correct or am I smoking my socks?

Also I seem to make much better shots if using a single pf than double. Why oh why :(

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

davebm wrote:If I purposely pre-infuse before pulling the shot I've noticed that the chance of channeling in the puck is decreased.
Preinfusion allows time for the puck to expand, thereby closing some fissures in the puck. Not surprisingly, that reduces the risk of channeling. So yes, your statement is correct. For what it's worth, I've noticed that excessively long preinfusion leads to "muddy" tasting shots (i.e., greater than 6 seconds).
davebm wrote:Also I seem to make much better shots if using a single pf than double.
Not sure what to make of that. Changing the spout should make no difference, except perhaps in your perception of what constitutes a "better shot".
Dan Kehn

Advertisement
davebm (original poster)

#3: Post by davebm (original poster) »

Hi HB, I also use a single basket - whenever I upscale to the double basket I find I have to always re-adjust my grind

kowalej

#4: Post by kowalej »

Perhaps when you scale up to the double basket you are not using the correct dose which makes you need to change your grind setting. The double basket may not necessarily require 2x the coffee as the single. Try keeping the grind steady with your double and playing with the dose until the flow is optimal.

bostonbuzz

#5: Post by bostonbuzz »

HB, how do you feel about the slayer preinfusion that lasts until the first drops or about 10s? Perhaps if you ground finer it would be less muddy?
LMWDP #353

HB
Admin

#6: Post by HB »

Sorry, I've never used the Slayer so I have no opinion on it.
Dan Kehn

TomC
Team HB

#7: Post by TomC »

bostonbuzz wrote:HB, how do you feel about the slayer preinfusion that lasts until the first drops or about 10s? Perhaps if you ground finer it would be less muddy?

PM dustin360. He's used it daily for over a year now.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/