Quickmill Anita brew pressure gauge won't return to zero

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
nile13

#1: Post by nile13 »

The brewing pressure gauge on my newly acquired used Anita is set at rest around 13 bar. That's right, instead of sitting at 0 it is at 13 with no pressure applied.

I've taken the gauge out of the machine. The problem is, I can't seem to take the gauge housing apart to simply move the needle back to 0. Any and all help on how to disassemble the gauge would be appreciated.

erics
Supporter ★

#2: Post by erics »

The problem is, I can't seem to take the gauge housing apart to simply move the needle back to 0.
Nor would you necessarily want to because your gauge calibration is then in "never-never land".

Your very best bet is to simply order a new gauge from Chris' Coffee.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

nile13 (original poster)

#3: Post by nile13 (original poster) »

I don't think calibration would be an issue. I've played enough with older speedometers (changing faces, for example) and it's always been repeatably calibrated after the needle is returned to the proper position.

Not sure that pressure gauge would be any different. Even more unsure what could cause this. 15 years of rough play with race car's tire gauges... and I've never seen anything like this. And they are not treated gently, including being driven over once in a while.

jpboyt

#4: Post by jpboyt »

Quite possible that the machine got froze. That's the first thing I look for on a used machine is whether the brew gage is setting at zero or not. If it reads a big number it's likely the machine got froze and water in the gage froze also. If you take apart the gage you more than likely will see that the gage is damaged. Much more than just a "major" calibration issue. Heat exchanger style machines are the worst because there never seems to be a good way to get the exchanger drained. Draining the steam boiler does little to help the issue with water remaining in the machine.
jpboyt

nile13 (original poster)

#5: Post by nile13 (original poster) »

Intereating. So, other than possibly replacing the gauge, what should I do? The machine produced a few very decent shots in my limited playing with it.