Newbie trouble with bottomless portafilter spray - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
davebm

#11: Post by davebm »

My first try with the bottomless pf got me hot coffee squirted in my eye. haha.

Seems your distribution is a little off judging by the pics - but not by far. you're almost there :D. it looks quite tasty. Video might be easier to diagnose too :)

DanoM

#12: Post by DanoM »

I had the same problem when I first started bottomless PF. My Vario grinds pretty much clump free, but the bottomless tells me it isn't entirely so. Also my WDT wisk, not needle, works quick enough that I use it for every shot in about 3 seconds, and rarely do I have spritzing at all anymore.

You're gonna love the upgrades!
LMWDP #445

achipman

#13: Post by achipman »

another_jim wrote:Nothing, except doing it for the first time.

The point of bottomless PFs is that they teach you how to properly distribute and pack a basket; and nothing else can. I had been pulling shots for 30 years before I used a bottomless, and it did exactly the same thing for me as it did for you.
EDIT: I too am a newbie... working through bottomless PF issues...

Coming from Jim, this has got to be THE most comforting thing I've read on this forum to date.... :D

Keep calm and pull shots... 8)
"Another coffee thing??? I can't keep up with you... next you'll be growing coffee in our back yard." - My wife

bogiesan

#14: Post by bogiesan »

Yeah, me, too. I had no idea my technique was so poor till I got my bottomless a few weeks ago. Twenty years of bad habits. So much to relearn.

Does anyone have a line on the history of the bottomless portafilter? Someone claiming first use of record? First known deliberate use for diagnostics?

another_jim
Team HB

#15: Post by another_jim »

It may be hard to fond out. Alt.coffee people started using them around 2004/2005. They caught on so quickly that lots of large cafes and roasters claimed they had been using them for training from time immemorial -- success as many fathers; failure is an orphan.
Jim Schulman

particularA

#16: Post by particularA »

bogiesan wrote:Yeah, me, too. I had no idea my technique was so poor till I got my bottomless a few weeks ago. Twenty years of bad habits. So much to relearn.
Have you changed your technique, and, if so...
have you noticed more even flows, and, if so...
have you tasted a difference? :D