Driver Metal Coffee Filter - Page 8

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
treyrox

#71: Post by treyrox »

TomC wrote: In a few days, I'll put together a simple method I've come up with that really makes it shine beautifully, with enhanced clarity, and amplified sweetness. It's such a "transparent" brewer. It allows me to assess my home roasts so well, it hides nothing.
Tom
when you get a minute, will you please share your method? thanks

TomC
Team HB

#72: Post by TomC »

It's nothing too fancy, just brew with a very precise, low flow pouring kettle after your bloom (initial coffee weight x a bit more than 2) I do the first half of my extraction with short quick pours keeping the bloom even in color and fluid saturation. As soon as I'm cresting the 50% beverage weight on the scale, I use a very small espresso spoon that I've bent slightly, and pour directly into that with it positioned right at the fluid level.

Doing that allows me to let the fine particles bed down, and I can get a small clear body of water above the grinds. It has shown to clarify the cup and taking a bit of time during the whole process (around 4 minutes) seems to enhance sweetness. My main goal towards the end is to not disturb the coffee bed, since something like 90% of the extraction has already happened in the first minute, the last bit is stuff I don't want to agitate and bring bitterness, tannic notes or anything muddy into the cup.

Done this way, they are almost indistinguishable from a Kalita Wave brew, except for more body and oil. But the flavor separation and clarity are still there unlike most of my press pots.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Javier

#73: Post by Javier »

TomC wrote: I use a very small espresso spoon that I've bent slightly, and pour directly into that with it positioned right at the fluid level.
I do something similar to the espresso spoon, but using a 58mm double basket. I fill the double basket halfway up, which basket I keep almost touching the surface of the coffee bed, and gently move it around in a circle. Kind of a "lauter tun".
LMWDP #115

TomC
Team HB

#74: Post by TomC »

I had entertained that in the past, playing with odd extraction experiments with wide mouth mason jars, using a 58mm portafilter, but it just ended up making for a messier clean up. But I like the lauder tun reference.

angman

#75: Post by angman »

drgary wrote:I saw it for $49 on Amazon Prime and $39 on eBay from the same seller, both with free shipping. Even $39 seems painful but Henry has obviously found a quality product and when you guys review something as this superior I want one.
I hate you guys. Looks like I am dropping another $40 on yet another must have but not needed product...

TomC
Team HB

#76: Post by TomC replying to angman »

You'll thank someone, trust me.

treyrox

#77: Post by treyrox »

TomC wrote:It's nothing too fancy, just brew with a very precise, low flow pouring kettle after your bloom (initial coffee weight x a bit more than 2) I do the first half of my extraction with short quick pours keeping the bloom even in color and fluid saturation. As soon as I'm cresting the 50% beverage weight on the scale, I use a very small espresso spoon that I've bent slightly, and pour directly into that with it positioned right at the fluid level.

Doing that allows me to let the fine particles bed down, and I can get a small clear body of water above the grinds. It has shown to clarify the cup and taking a bit of time during the whole process (around 4 minutes) seems to enhance sweetness. My main goal towards the end is to not disturb the coffee bed, since something like 90% of the extraction has already happened in the first minute, the last bit is stuff I don't want to agitate and bring bitterness, tannic notes or anything muddy into the cup.

Done this way, they are almost indistinguishable from a Kalita Wave brew, except for more body and oil. But the flavor separation and clarity are still there unlike most of my press pots.
After 2 weeks of playing with my Driver I have a follow up question. Using a similar technique(grind size, pour technique, scooping grinds from upper edge after first round of pours)that has worked well with my V60, I am finding my brews to be a touch overpowering. Obviously the paper taste is eliminated, which is great and I am slowly coarsening my grind and have moved my brew temp from 200 to 202 to reduce the extraction, slightly.
Do you guys touch the grounds at all after bloom/initial pours? I don't appear to be moving stuff around to the point of getting any silt, but I am just wondering.

achipman

#78: Post by achipman replying to treyrox »

Coarsening the grind should in theory reduce extraction amount, but wouldn't increasing the temperature increase the extraction?

I too have found the driver brews to be a slightly different beast than a v60. Much more oomph. I haven't tried agitation. That to me would be another factor that would increase the extraction.
"Another coffee thing??? I can't keep up with you... next you'll be growing coffee in our back yard." - My wife

treyrox

#79: Post by treyrox »

Nick Cho's recent pourover article mentions higher temps will extract fewer of the "undesirable" flavors.
Relative to Matt Perger's relatively extreme v60 agitation I am simply scraping the "high and dry" grounds from the side of the filter. Then I am following Tom's recommended pouring of water into a spoon, so my agitation is fairly minimal. The cups are still quite intense. My ratio remains just under 6g/100g ie 36g/550g.
I will try going slightly coarser again, as that seems to have improved things a touch.