Artisan/Amprobe TMD-56/Mac OSX woes

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
nixda

#1: Post by nixda »

Hi there,

Long-time lurker, first-time poster.

I am trying to use an Amprobe TMD-56 with my DIY corretto roaster, using Artisan to monitor my roasts. I am having problems getting the TMD-56 to communicate properly with Artisan.

The funny thing is that everything works just fine with my Mac Pro, but not with a MacBook Air, a Mac Mini, or a MacBook Pro.

Here is the pertinent info:

- Artisan 0.7.3 or 0.7.4

- Latest version of FTDIUSBSerialDriver installed

- Attach TMD-56 to USB port (channel is set to 0)

- Start Artisan; go to Config > Device; select 'Amprobe TMD-56' under 'Meter'; Select Comm Port 'FT232R USB UART'; other parameters 19200, 8, E, 1, 1

- Hit the 'On' button

MacPro, MacBook Pro, MacMini: Mac OSX 10.8
MacBook Air: Mac OSX 10.9

The MacPro reads the temperatures just fine, all other machines show '-1' for both ET and BT.

I am at a loss here, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much in advance!

Cheers,
MM

PS: Great forum; I have learned a lot over the past few months; my first roasts with my DIY Corretto roaster have been a blast; looking forward to taking it to the next level.

summer

#2: Post by summer »

On mine the com port I have selected is: /dev/tty.usbserial-AH0110FP... My other settings are the same as yours. Hope it helps.

scareyourpasenger

#3: Post by scareyourpasenger »

On 10.9 with a ftdi adapter I was up and running without a driver. The prolific adapter was another story and wouldn't work no matter what on 10.9. It could be an issue with the vendor identifier reported by the device not matching the driver.

nixda (original poster)

#4: Post by nixda (original poster) »

I discovered that everything works as it should when using Artisan 0.6.0, but 0.7.3/4 are flaky. It worked occasionally but is finicky, e.g., after switching temperature probes, 0.7.3 lost the connection again, whereas 0.6.0 worked just fine.

nixda (original poster)

#5: Post by nixda (original poster) »

Marko Luther provided a new build of version 0.7.4 that fixes the issues I was having. Hope it also helps others who might run into similar issues.

Thanks so much for the prompt attention!