Mahlkoenig Vario K30 vs. Mazzer Super Jolly

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
DanSF

#1: Post by DanSF »

I've been happy with my Mazzer SJ. I prefer it to a Baratza Vario (head to head comparison) and a Mazzer Mini and Rancilio Rocky (via proxy). Searching/reading through HB, I see many comparisons to titan conicals (generally preferred to the SJ).

But, I am thinking about an upgrade path to the Mahlkoenig K30 Vario, and I've found less about this particular head-to-head comparison. Anyone who has owned/used both care to comment?

My habits: tend to put ~6 oz of coffee in the hopper and run it through in 3-4 days. Will often switch to another bean/blend after finishing one hopper but don't do much bean/blend switching shot to shot. The K30 appeals b/c of the easier single-shot dosing and general massiveness/fun factor. Thanks!

Clint Orchuk

#2: Post by Clint Orchuk »

It's a great grinder. You will get more accurate dosing, however by having a pound or two of beans in the hopper.

Maxwell Mooney

#3: Post by Maxwell Mooney »

K30 for sure. Better grind quality far and away. If you're at home and single dosing or can weigh each shot, it's definitely the better choice. Even with a full hopper, dose can vary by as much as .7g/ dose (I found this today, while training) or perhaps more, but the timers on the Mazzer's are just as bad. I would strongly encourage checking out the Anfim Super Caimano-- it gets relatively zero discussion from the online community, but it's an incredible grinder and probably what I would choose had I unlimited resources and didn't feel like springing for the EK-43.
"Coffee is evidence of Divine Grace, flavored coffee evidence of the Fall" -Kevin Hall

LMWDP #406