Quickmill Silvano--keep or upgrade to Alexia?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
David_in_TN

#1: Post by David_in_TN »

Hi,

First time poster in need of some advice. :D

I just purchased a Quickmill Silvano from Chris' Coffee and absolutely love it (this machine is such a bargain). I have no regrets whatsoever.

However, I am wondering about the service-ability of this machine over the next several decades? After watching one of Dan Kehn's videos, I'm starting to wonder if I should take advantage of my "remorse" period to upgrade it to a Quickmill Alexia and its more ubiquitous E61 group head?

Am I worrying over nothing? How many proprietary parts does the Silvano rely upon?

While I do like macchiatos and love that I can steam and pull simultaneously on the Silvano, I'm willing to sacrifice this little convenience if having a SB E61 means that I can get more reliable servicing 10-20 years from now.

Thanks for any help.

-Dave

aerojrp

#2: Post by aerojrp »

All I can say is that I LOVE my Alexia! It is very very consistent, and seems to be built to last for a very long time.

Jim

boar_d_laze

#3: Post by boar_d_laze »

Even though it's in a better box and has a better group, the Alexia is not an upgrade.

SBDU steaming performance is borderline at best, because the coffee deteriorates while you wait for the boiler to come to steam temp, and then wait for slow steam performance. SBDU machine recovery time makes them poor candidates for couples, let alone entertaining. Most important, without PID control over the boiler, temping accuracy is too poor for consistently adequate -- let alone excellent -- espresso. The design is obsolete.

In the QM line, the Anita HX is the step up in performance and user friendliness from the Silvano.

GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER

BDL
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

aerojrp

#4: Post by aerojrp »

I would disagree with the recovery time statement as I pull. Shots back to back for parties with no issue. 20-30 sec is all it needs. I can watch all temps and they have fully recovered. I do have a pid, and that has to help. I do agree with the sb downside, but I only do espresso, so no issues for me. E61 is completely servicable. Which is good.
Jim

MikeMooney

#5: Post by MikeMooney »

Hi, David, and welcome! I too enjoy my Silvano--I've had it for almost a year, with no regrets and a growing appreciation for its outstanding value. If you're pondering the Alexia and still within the "buyer's remorse" window, I'd suggest calling Chris' Coffee and discussing the pros and cons of each machine relative to your needs, preferences, and skill level. They are second to none in giving good unbiased advice--one of many reasons they enjoy such a superb reputation within the HB community.

Regards,
Allen

David_in_TN (original poster)

#6: Post by David_in_TN (original poster) »

Thanks for the responses. Quick Mill sure has some nice products!

Right now I'm leaning on keeping the Silvano. I'm guessing my questions regarding serviceability of the Silvano's non-E61 group might not have an good answer and will go on the hope that QuickMill/Chris' sticks around for a few years :)

Other than that, the Silvano keeps amazing me. I can make milk drinks at a rate on par with any double boiler, and have produced some outstanding espressos. The more that I use the Silvano, the more inexplicable it seems that machine is not more widely-known.

I'm sure an E61 machine will be in my future, but right now the Silvano keeps proving itself to be more than I had hoped it would be.

-Dave