Pourover methods that can use fine grind setting? - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
XCman

#11: Post by XCman »

Going from fine to coarse was never a problem for me. It was always been going back to fine from course.
Your supposed to have the grinder running when you change settings. That wasted a lot of beans.
With the grind chamber clean, I find that it goes back to its fine (espresso) setting vary constantly.
That seems to be the most common complaint about the Vario.
These days I'm playing the Vario against the Lido in the course range.(using the Clever) But the Vario only goes to drip to course drip range. This is where I think the Vario starts falling apart. But I haven't tried enough different coffees to know for sure.

pacificmanitou

#12: Post by pacificmanitou »

I've had more luck adjusting when single dosing than when the hopper is full, but it's always a gamble as to the accuracy it adjusts with.
LMWDP #366

pacificmanitou

#13: Post by pacificmanitou »

I didnt think about it till now, and its not exactly what you asked for, but a cold dripper may work in your favor. The grind is held back by a ceramic disc, which acts as a filter. The rate of flow, however, is managed by the user via a stopcock. Ive had drinkable cold brews that were way outside the parameters of what is considered acceptable for hot brewing, so its possibly more forgiving.
LMWDP #366

Bodka Coffee

#14: Post by Bodka Coffee »

I also use a Vario W for pour over grind and espresso grind. Works for me!

PandaSPUR (original poster)

#15: Post by PandaSPUR (original poster) »

XCman wrote:Going from fine to coarse was never a problem for me. It was always been going back to fine from course.
Your supposed to have the grinder running when you change settings. That wasted a lot of beans.
With the grind chamber clean, I find that it goes back to its fine (espresso) setting vary constantly.
That seems to be the most common complaint about the Vario.
These days I'm playing the Vario against the Lido in the course range.(using the Clever) But the Vario only goes to drip to course drip range. This is where I think the Vario starts falling apart. But I haven't tried enough different coffees to know for sure.
I'm not interested in French Press or anything that really calls for especially coarse grounds so I think the Vario fits my uses.

But yea, like you said, I've heard issues mostly about going back to fine grind settings (even with grinder running during adjustment as it is supposed to). I wonder if this has anything to do with the calibration screw getting vibrated out of place (and if thats fixable with some blue thread lock)
pacificmanitou wrote:I've had more luck adjusting when single dosing than when the hopper is full, but it's always a gamble as to the accuracy it adjusts with.
Maybe its time for me to reconsider single dosing.. hmm
Original plan was to grind into a scale, save the proper time, and just dose that way every time.
I'll probably be too grumpy in the morning to mess with beans, scales and single dosing but we'll see what happens.
pacificmanitou wrote:I didnt think about it till now, and its not exactly what you asked for, but a cold dripper may work in your favor. The grind is held back by a ceramic disc, which acts as a filter. The rate of flow, however, is managed by the user via a stopcock. Ive had drinkable cold brews that were way outside the parameters of what is considered acceptable for hot brewing, so its possibly more forgiving.
This will be interesting for the coming spring/summer months hmm. Thanks!
Bodka Coffee wrote:I also use a Vario W for pour over grind and espresso grind. Works for me!
Is your Vario hit-and-miss when returning from pour-over grind to espresso grind? And do you single dose or no?

pacificmanitou

#16: Post by pacificmanitou »

You could get a set of pinch bowls and weigh out a couple doses the night before so its streamlined when you're half asleep. A vario has such low retention you don't need to check the output weight as carefully as other grinders.
LMWDP #366

Bodka Coffee

#17: Post by Bodka Coffee »

I don't preweigh with the W. I don't go back and forth between po and espresso often enough to tell if it changes much. The beans age and that may make more difference in my case than the drift in the Vario.