Gaggia Classic Intermittent Pump

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
biazottipaulo

#1: Post by biazottipaulo »

while dialing it with way too fine coffee, my machine choked and pump stopped working entirely.

after shutting it down, an pushing the brew button, pump would work in intervals, approx 1 second on where it squirts water, 1 second off

I have removed the core of the pump cleaning all coils, valves and parts, meanwhile I decided to test it to see how it would work without it. indeed it seems the electrical impulse just reaches the pump every other second

I let it cool down, problem remains

I tried removing the wires from the thermostat as by experience I have seen the machine shutting down if it overheats...no luck

I tend to believe it is the end of this pump but before giving up it would be good to hear back from you guys

thanks

SlowRain

#2: Post by SlowRain »

You might find what you're looking for on the old Gaggia Users Group: http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Gaggia/info

If not, they've apparently moved to a new website where you can ask them about your issue specifically: http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/

Hope this helps.

Advertisement
algue

#3: Post by algue »

I did not understand
Did you measure with a multimeter voltage given to the pump from the machine and found it not continuous?
Then it is not a pump issue.

biazottipaulo (original poster)

#4: Post by biazottipaulo (original poster) »

and the pump is gone....I decided to bypass the pump thermostat...it worked for 10 seconds before the "boom"....this tells me it was an issue with the pump coil which was overheating...I doubt I can find one so total pump replacement will be the way to go I assume...once I get it in hands I may post the outcome....good call on the voltimeter, I will check for safety sake.

James R

#5: Post by James R »

Sorry for the thread hi-jack biazottipaulo but I figure it was worth posting here seeing as your problem is a little similar to one I'm experiencing:

I picked up a well loved second hand one about six months ago and have had very little issues apart from it not pumping a couple of times when left on for a little longer than necessary to heat up. Perhaps I should have acted faster on this issue as now when I try pull a shot everything looks good, get the nice beading on the basket but then nothing but slow drips. When I remove the portafilter and try run some water through the group I get drips and some steam bubbling. Leaving it for a few minutes sometimes allows some water to come through but other times nothing. The steam wand works fine.

Any idea on what could be wrong? Solenoid valve needs taking out and cleaning? Thermostat issue?

:cry:

Update:
I think this could be partially a grind issue on a new coffee I'm trying :oops: Dialled the MC2 back a TINY bit and pulled a gusher - 34g in 12 seconds. Is it still normal that the pump would hand at times and splutter out drips and steam?