Pitcher sizes to buy?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
flipteg

#1: Post by flipteg »

hi, i'm still new at making espresso but lately, i'm really starting to get into latte art. i notice that it is very important for the pitcher spout to get close to the surface as soon as possible. my 20oz Smart Pitcher and our 12oz cappuccino cups do not allow the spout to get close to the surface until the cup is almost full. we typically only drink a single shot cappuccino so the total volume in the cup is only around 7 to 8 oz. there's still a bit of exposed cup rim that prevents the pitcher spout from getting close to the surface.

in my quest to improve my latte art, i ordered a set of 2 6oz cappuccino cups for our single shot milk drinks. i also ordered a 12oz and a 16oz Motta pitchers. the reason for the 12oz pitcher is because i use the single basket a lot for times when i want to drink coffee but she doesn't. on my current 20oz pitcher, i find it very hard to steam 5-6oz of milk since my Silvia's steam tip would barely reach the surface of the milk. it is workable but i find since i have to tilt the pitcher too much to one side, i don't get as much control and i can't get the consistency i get when i'm steaming for 2 drinks.

after placing the order for the Motta's, i'm second guessing myself. it seems 12oz and 16oz is a bit close in size with probably less than an inch difference in height. i know that i'll definitely use the 16oz pitcher for 2 servings of milk but how easy is it to steam 5oz in the 16oz Motta? will the 8oz Motta server me better than the 12oz version for steaming 5oz?

cannonfodder
Team HB

#2: Post by cannonfodder »

As a general rule, I go with a pitcher that has no more than twice the capacity of the amount of milk I am steaming. 12oz for 5-6oz of milk. To large a pitcher and the milk will be to shallow in the pitcher and you will have a tendency to make dish soap bubbles and not get enough rolling action in the pitcher to incorporate the microfoam.
Dave Stephens

flipteg (original poster)

#3: Post by flipteg (original poster) replying to cannonfodder »

yes! dish soap bubbles is exactly what i get most of the time when i try to steam 5-6oz of milk in my 20oz pitcher... hence why i ordered the 12oz Motta.

flipteg (original poster)

#4: Post by flipteg (original poster) »

i just got the Motta's today. i haven't used it yet but i filled them with water to the same levels for the amount of milk i usually steam for 1 or 2 servings of cappuccino. for 2 servings (10oz milk) the 500ml Motta is perfect. i think the 500ml might also work for single serving but with my Silvia's steam wand, i have to tilt the pitcher in order to get the tip fully submerged. the 350ml Motta seems to be a perfect size for single serving. i also bought the 750ml. i'm still very new to latte art but i can do rough rosettas. one thing i realize is that it's important to get the spout very close to the surface as soon as i can. i'm thinking that the bigger pitcher will allow me to tilt it more before milk starts pouring which should get the tip of the pitcher very close to the surface early on in the pour. i won't be able to steam in the 750ml cause with the amount of milk it needs, i'm risking burning the Silvia's heating element. when practicing latte art, i'm planning on steaming the milk in the smaller pitchers and then transferring it to the 750ml for the pour :mrgreen: