Rancilio Silvia - High Flow Issue

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
bill44

#1: Post by bill44 »

Hey Everyone. Need some help troubleshooting a Rancilio Silvia as I am having a big problem with extraction my times. I have been pulling great shots in the past, however lately getting unusually high flow.

Here are my settings:
- Rancilio Silvia V3
- Baratza Vario Grinder
- Rancilio Bottomless porta-filter
- Fresh (within 7 days) Transcend Espresso Beans (spec 35g from 20g in 30-35 seconds)
- Vario has been cleaned
- Rancilio is fully descaled
- Vario is on FINEST grind setting
- Warm up Machine for 10 min
- Grind 20g of coffee in basket (confirmed using a good digital scale - Grind appears even and consistent)
- Level coffee and tamp to 30lb pressure (I have used a bathroom scale so I'm fairly confident this is correct)
- Let boiler get up to temperature
- Begin extracting shot
- Watch screen on porta-filter - appears even - no preferential flow to either side.
- After a second or two begins pouring out fast (steady blonde colored flow)
- Spraying appears on corners of basket
- Stop extraction after 10 seconds
- Measured 70g @ 2.9 fl.oz

These results are relatively consistent, shot after shot.

I've also tried the following:
- Increasing the amount of coffee by a third
- Increasing the tamp pressure
- Decreasing the tamp pressure

The only conclusion I can come to is there is a flow/pressure problem with my machine (I know... blame the machine right...).

I'm working with my supplier to troubleshoot the problem. In the meantime I thought I'd ask around. Any thoughts?

This photo is after approximately 7-8 seconds.

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

bill44 wrote:- Vario is on FINEST grind setting
Sounds like you're not grinding fine enough because the Vario needs recalibration, see Baratza Vario optimal espresso calibration. You also may want to check out the instruction in this video: Newbie Introduction to Espresso - Grinders. I explain to Phillip how to dial in a grinder by feel.
Dan Kehn

Compass Coffee

#3: Post by Compass Coffee »

Sounds like need to re-calibrate Vario to grind finer.
Mike McGinness

bostonbuzz

#4: Post by bostonbuzz »

The above 2 posts are correct. Good news, you can fix this problem in one minute. There are a few videos on how to recalibrate your vario. A good one is from Seattle Coffee Gear. Happy espresso making!
LMWDP #353

Randy G.

#5: Post by Randy G. »

All three of the posts above are indeed the starting (and possibly ending) point to the problem.

Additionally, just in case:
- Fresh (within 7 days)
Within 7 days of ROASTING?
- Grind appears even and consistent
But what about distribution?
- Tamp to 30lb pressure
Forget the scale. Just mash down on the tamper and that will be fine. The necessity of a specific tamping force indicates some other problem for which tamping is compensating. Anything up to 50 or more pounds should be just fine.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Nate42

#6: Post by Nate42 »

I'll also add that if you're trying to cram 20 grams or more into an ordinary double basket, you may be having channeling issues that are causing faster flow. But as others said, most likely culprit is you're just not grinding fine enough. A properly calibrated and properly functioning grinder should be capable of choking the machine.

Burner0000

#7: Post by Burner0000 replying to Nate42 »

Also allow more than 10min to warm up the machine. 20+ is better. Wait for the portafilter locked in to feel warm to the touch.

whats the puck look like after a pull?
Roast it, Grind it, Brew it!.. Enjoy it!..

bill44 (original poster)

#8: Post by bill44 (original poster) »

Finally I'm back to pulling great shots.

My Vario was definitely out of calibration. Thanks for posting the link to that video. A quick fix for sure, 2 minutes and I was back up and running.

Now I'm back on spec, 36g espresso from 20g coffee in 30 sec. Perfect crema, perfect everything.

Thanks for your help :)