Single basket size too big for 8g espresso dose?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
davebm

#1: Post by davebm »

Hi guys,

This is my first post, been reading this site for years but never signed up.

6 months ago I got myself a Rocket espresso machine, I have been making coffee (except espresso) for over 12 years now and finally was in the right position to get myself this beauty.

I have one small question (which I have googled extensively but havent found an exact answer) - After going quite a bit of reading on recommended dosing of coffee (single espresso shot) to be 8grams - however when I put that quantity in my single espresso pf basket it doesnt seem to extract nicely at all.

Should the grind be finer or should I just add more grams and make the grind a little more coarse?

One last Q: The water coming out of the machine is very metallic tasting - using filtered water. Think it needs a descale?

algue

#2: Post by algue »

Hi
Welcome on board
I think that most people in this forum mainly uses double filter.
Actually double filter is easier to set up and allows probably better results.
I frequently use also single basket, though, and my dose is always close to 8g. Sometimes slightly less and sometimes slightly more.
In some cases and with some coffees I filled up to 9g, with a slightly coarser grind.

But I do not understand: as your title is claiming that single basket is too small, how can you think to grind coarser adding more coffee?

Alberto

davebm (original poster)

#3: Post by davebm (original poster) »

Hi,

Sorry, I meant its too big for 8g espresso - i find myself having to use more coffee to get the pour right. (reglardless of how fine)

I will try the double basket with 8 grams as it is flat bottomed and not so much channeled as the single basket is.

another_jim
Team HB

#4: Post by another_jim »

davebm wrote: I have one small question (which I have googled extensively but havent found an exact answer) - After going quite a bit of reading on recommended dosing of coffee (single espresso shot) to be 8grams - however when I put that quantity in my single espresso pf basket it doesnt seem to extract nicely at all.

Should the grind be finer or should I just add more grams and make the grind a little more coarse?
These baskets are made for Italian style espresso. Grind very fine, so the coffee is oozing out. Single baskets are not suitable for the international style of shot making which uses double baskets, coarser grind settings, and higher than the nominal 12 to 16 gram dosing.
One last Q: The water coming out of the machine is very metallic tasting - using filtered water. Think it needs a descale?
Rather the opposite. Do you have very soft water?
Jim Schulman

davebm (original poster)

#5: Post by davebm (original poster) »

I am using a double basket and about 16grams of coffee in 25 seconds.

The shots definitely coming out tasting quite pleasant (i can still taste the metallic water though)

I am note sure how hard or soft the water is in my area - i will need to buy a test kit to find out as the government wouldnt be able to tell me.

I am currently using a brita filter to filter my water before I put it in the machine.

algue

#6: Post by algue »

Could you try to use for sometimes mineral bottled water?
In this way you could determine for sure if the metallic taste depends on the quality of the water in your area.

D'Laine

#7: Post by D'Laine »

The only time I've ever tasted metallic water was always through a Brita filter.
Try another source, no Brita.
Dave

davebm (original poster)

#8: Post by davebm (original poster) »

Hi Dave and algue - thanks for the responses - I will try bottled water and see if there is an improvement on taste