How to avoid big bubbles at the start of steaming milk

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
forgetcolor

#1: Post by forgetcolor »

I'm wondering how to start the microfoam steaming process without creating big bubbles right at first. I'm trying to steam about 2.5 oz for a small cappuccino. Using a 12oz pitcher w/ a PID'd Silvia and one-hole tip.

I start by sinking the wand into the milk, then turn the steam on, and then bring the wand up to just below the surface to get the frothing sound. Once I get it up to near surface everything is going okay. But that first point, when i turn on the steam and have the wand submerged, I often get big bubbles to start and it stretches the milk very quickly (but without microfoam). I've tried turning on the steam just a little, then getting wand just below the surface, and then turning it up---this seems to help a little but not enough.

It's not always consistent---sometimes I don't have this problem at all but more often than not I do. What's the trick? I'm coming from an old weaker Gaggia so the steam power is a lot more than I'm used to. I know many of you use much more steam power so I know this can be worked around... What's the trick right at the start to avoid the big bubbles?

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

If they are big, spaced out "burp" type bubbles initially, it could literally be residual water being blasted thru the steam wand that has condensed from cooling previously. As each water droplet gets shot out, the steam pocket behind it is burping up to the surface.

I know it's not a rocket ship when it comes to steaming, but see if you can warm up the entire steam wand assembly with a few purges well beforehand, and see if it still happens.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

forgetcolor (original poster)

#3: Post by forgetcolor (original poster) »

Thanks for the suggestion. I know I was purging around 270-275F, but it may be I didn't get it all out. Will be more diligent about it and report back.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#4: Post by cannonfodder »

With only 2oz of milk in a 12 oz pitcher, you have too much pitcher. The milk will be to shallow so when you turn on the steam, you will blow a hole in the milk and inject large bubbles. As a general rule of thumb, I match the pitcher to the quantity of milk I am steaming at a 50/50 ratio. A 12 ounce pitcher with 5-6 ounces of milk. For 2oz of milk, you may be better off using a small stainless shot pitcher, something no bigger than 6 oz but 4oz may not be large enough. That will make the milk column deeper and avoid blowing a hole in the milk when you open the steam wand. The other option is a ball valve for the steam wand so you can feather in/out the power of the steam.
Dave Stephens

Compass Coffee

#5: Post by Compass Coffee »

With 2-3oz milk in 12oz pitcher can also try tilting the pitcher ~45 degrees so the milk is all on one side and deeper. And feathering the steam.
Mike McGinness

TomC
Team HB

#6: Post by TomC »

I must have glazed right over the volume part. I didn't even see it in his post.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

weebit_nutty

#7: Post by weebit_nutty »

A couple of things will help.. first, try steaming your milk in a 4 or 6oz small porcelain milk/cream pitcher. Second, you might consider changing your steam tip to one with a smaller hole (.8mm or less). This will keep the steam to a manageable while still producing the velocity needed in producing microfoam.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?