Problems steaming milk on Ponte Vecchio Lusso

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Linthorn

#1: Post by Linthorn »

I have had a PV Lusso and I am having a hell of a time trying to get microfoam for my cappuccinos. Sometimes it seems to work ok, but usually it is very thin foam on top of hot milk. I never had problems with my old pump machine (had a Solis). Is there a trick to this? Is it a problem with the wand holes? Is there a better pitcher to use (I use a basic bell pitcher)? What about quantity? I use a small pitcher, although a large one won't really fit under the wand well (I have several sizes and they all work about the same).

I know it may be heresy, but I love my daily caps and when the milk is silky it is awesome. I also use it to make hot cocoa for my wife. She feels the same about the microfoam. So you can see, it's an issue for me.
Dave Lynch

LMWDP #218

pacificmanitou

#2: Post by pacificmanitou »

Did your solis have a cheater tip? If it did, it's time to learn technique. Otherwise, use a 12 oz or smaller pitcher, and steam no more than 8 oz or so. Angle the pitcher at 45° and barely insert the wand so it makes a sucking sound, then when the milk is room temperature or so, insert it to the top of the tip and let the milk swirl. Anything at 5 oz or so you can skip the first part and just let it swirl.
LMWDP #366

Advertisement
Linthorn (original poster)

#3: Post by Linthorn (original poster) »

No, it didn't have a cheater, but it was a one-hole wand. The process you describe is pretty much what I do. I am using 4-5 oz in my pitcher and have been doing the 2-step stretch/swirl approach. I have tried all grades of milk (except skim). I have tried putting the pitcher in the freezer first as well. Do you think that the volume is the issue? I haven't had much more luck with the larger pitcher (I use for hot cocoa, 8oz) with the same approach. It doesn't seem to stretch much. I can get a good standing wave during the second stage, but not usually much volume change during the stretch. How far do you suggest opening the valve? If I open it too much it seems to spray water along with the steam.
Dave Lynch

LMWDP #218

pacificmanitou

#4: Post by pacificmanitou »

Linthorn wrote:How far do you suggest opening the valve? If I open it too much it seems to spray water along with the steam.
What is your pressure set to, and how high is the water in the tank? If the water level is too high (well past where it stops reading on the sight glass) it does spray water because the tube is submerged. I suppose it could also happen if your pressure is too low, which could also explain why you aren't getting good microfoam. It's also good to have a different pitcher than the bell you're using now. For the lusso, I really like the 5 oz tiamo pitcher I got from OE. Sadly, it's not listed anymore and I can't find another source. I'd love to get the same 10 oz as well. A rattleware 12 oz is probably the most available option, or tiamo does have a handleless silicone wrapped 10oz on amazon.

I open my valve as little as possible to get a rolling wave going, which is usually about a full turn, but I'll start with as little as a quarter turn and move up as needed. Lower steam power also gives you longer to texture.
LMWDP #366

rpavlis

#5: Post by rpavlis »

I thought I once heard a complaint that the steam tips are welded in place with these machines. Is that true?

If not you should be able to change the tip. Steaming milk greatly depends on the velocity of the steam. I believe this machine has a 1000 watt heating element? The three litre volume, I believe it is, provides some cushion against falling pressure during steaming even when the tip has a hole that allows more steam to pass than the heating element is capable of producing during the interval required to steam the milk.

A single hole tip steamer at 1.0 bar with a diameter of about 1.4mm and with a 1000 watt heating element will allow pressure to stay at 1.0 bar continuously. The velocity under these conditions quite literally produces a micro shock wave in the milk and thereby denatures milk proteins and this holds the foam together.

There is an optimal size for tips that enables high enough velocity and yet does not result in having milk flying all over the place. It is my opinion that the optimal size for an one hole tip is about 1.4mm even when higher wattage elements are in the system.

There are optimal conditions for design and technique.

peacecup

#6: Post by peacecup »

Check the pressure gauge - you'll get best steaming results at .75-1.0 bar.

It will take a little practice, but it shouldn't be too tough. You may be over thinking it. I can't think of any special methods, but you don't need to add too much air. Also, I brace the pitcher with my hand against another surface like the PF handle. This keeps me from allowing the tip to come out too far and inject a big pulse of air.

I think whole milk is easier to practice on, but not sure.

You could plug 1-2 holes with a toothpick if you felt the need.

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

pacificmanitou

#7: Post by pacificmanitou »

rpavlis wrote:I thought I once heard a complaint that the steam tips are welded in place with these machines. Is that true?
It is brazed to the wand, which screws onto the knob inside the body. With some bending you could probably replace it with something else, since its a standard size. I've never felt the need, however.

I don't know about the 110v version, but mine uses a 1600 watt element, which gets a full boiler to temperature just as fast as the pavoni I used to own, and can hold boiler pressure when the element is on while steaming. It's really quite powerful.
LMWDP #366

Advertisement
RAS

#8: Post by RAS »

Linthorn wrote:I have had a PV Lusso and I am having a hell of a time trying to get microfoam for my cappuccinos.
As the others said, I'd also check the pressure-gauge to see where you are. Mine is set to 1.0 - 1.1, and with that, I'm able to produce the best microfoam I've ever had. To do so, I use a small Cafalet pitcher (8 ounce?) that works like a dream to get the milk rolling.

I first purge some steam, turn the steam off and barely put the tip below the surface of the 2-ish ounces of milk (pitcher at room temp, 2% lactose free milk just from a 38F fridge). Crank open the valve (maybe a 360 degree full turn), and let the steam do its stretching-thing (tearing sound) right below the surface. I keep the tip there for maybe 2-4 seconds before burying the tip, turning the pitcher ~20-30 degrees where I get a nice swirling whirlpool-effect, steam to 140 degrees, then shut down the valve (with the tip still buried). Smack the pitcher a couple times on the counter to get rid of any bigger bubbles (typically none-to-a-few) and swirl the pitcher until the milk is glossy. Pour and enjoy.

I was, at one time, tempted to sell my Lusso because I prefer espresso from my Cremina and LP Europiccola, but the steaming capability, and ability to make a great Americano, convinced me to keep it. Since then, I've perfected steaming even more, and cappuccinos are incredible. I can even make beautiful microfoam with eggnog for my wife's seasonal drinks. Bottom line is to be patient - but also check your pressure. Oh yeah, as also already stated here, I never fill the boiler above the upper limit line on the sight glass.

Good luck!
Bob

Linthorn (original poster)

#9: Post by Linthorn (original poster) »

Well, there are a few things to try. I do overfill a little, I'll have to try without. Also, perhaps I'm not opening the valve enough as I don't usually get a full turn. Also I may be stretching too long as I tend to hold it just below the surface for a bit, probably up to 110-120 degrees. My pressure is good, usually right around 1, and very stable during frothing. I bleed a couple of times during warm up. Never saw it fall after that. Boiler will keep cranking at 1 until dry. I'll experiment over the next couple of days and see what I find.
Dave Lynch

LMWDP #218