Faema Carisma or Quickmill Andreja

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
EABonney

#1: Post by EABonney »

So I have been researching for months now on my upgrade of my espresso machine. I am moving from a Gaggia Classic that I have owned for about 4yrs now and I have narrowed it down to one of the two listed above.

I know that not many folks have the Carisma since it is so new, but I was still hoping some might have some insight or advice to offer one way or another.

My typical usage is pulling two doubles shots every morning for a latte or cappa. My girlfriend sometimes likes a latte as well and we do have family or friends over but mostly around holidays. I have not ventured much into just drinking straight shots.

I roast my own coffee in a Behmor and I currently have a Baratza Vario for a grinder, which I think based on research should still be ok for either of these machines.

I am looking for a machine that will be a little more forgiving than my Classic is. Even after all this time I am by far a good barista and my girlfriend is still learning. So I am hoping that either of these machines might be a little more forgiving?

I am not opposed to upgrading my grinder as well. I have done a little research but I think I need to do more on this subject before I pull the trigger IF I even need to.

If anyone has the Carisma, can you tell me the depth of the top of the machine where the cup warmer/rails are? I may have to modify where it sits and I haven't been able to locate anywhere this particular item.

Thanks,
Eric

Jerry43

#2: Post by Jerry43 »

Eric, the measurement is 9 11/16 inches from top of case front to rear. The back rail is just about even with rear.

If you read through the forum here, seems some people have issues with hot smells and one with a persistant plastic taste. Also some had the wrong fuse in them that blew when turned on the first time. Haven't read any complaints on the performance. I'm pleased with mine splitting between shots and lattes.

It's on sale again at Chris Coffee. If forum support is a big concern then the Quick Mill would have plenty of that.

Jerry

EABonney (original poster)

#3: Post by EABonney (original poster) »

Thanks for the measurement Jerry!

So that the Carisma will fit under the cabinet but it will only have somewhere between 1/4" to maybe 2". I am afraid that might not be enough space for the Carisma. I like the fact that the Carisma has the Ruveco Teck treated boiler for less lead. Maybe it is a not that important in actuality but it does give me a little peace of mind. :)

The Andreja will fit much easier under the cabinet for sure and it has the option for being plumbed in at a later time. I had always been leaning towards the Carisma since I first saw that machine but the Andreja was always a close second.

Anyone know or have any opinions on the clearance that should be had for these machines? I am going to have to slid either of the units out in order to fill them unless I plumbed in the Andreja as I wouldn't have access to the top of the either units under my cabinet.

Thanks,
-Eric

EABonney (original poster)

#4: Post by EABonney (original poster) »

Well I finally pulled the trigger today! I decided to go with the Andreja for a couple of reasons.

1. The overall height of the machine will fit better in my tight space than the Carisma. The Carisma would have fit but it would have been really really tight, too tight after talking to Chris Coffee.

2. After giving it even more consideration of the past couple of weeks, I decided I didn't want a machine that was not only first generation, but super super early in the generation.

So it will ship out today via UPS per Chris Coffee and I expect it will be around mid-week when it arrives. Then in two weeks I will be purchasing a new grinder to pair with it. Most likely at K30 Vario but that isn't set in stone yet either. :)