Replacing my 20 year old Gaggia

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Jsck

#1: Post by Jsck »

Hello experts:

For the past 20 years I have had a commercial, plumbed Gaggia (manual) machine in my home. I think, that after many repairs, we have finally reached the point of diminishing returns.

What I have liked about my machine is the strength of the steam pressure. We leave it on all the time and so its always hot. We only brew 3-5 cups a day - always milk based - so perhaps this machine was a little heavy duty for our needs - but the choices were far fewer 20 years ago.

What I haven't liked are the temperature of the coffee, I have had to heat it in the microwave, after brewing. Moreover, I have hated the frequent service calls.

My goal is to replace it with a plumbed unit, which brews very hot coffee and one which is very reliable. I have a separate grinder - but in another house have an automatic machine which is less messy. I don't really care about a built in grinder, but since my grinder is also a 20 year old Gaggia - I might as well bite the bullet and replace it now as well. So I'm welcome to ideas as machines with built in grinders as well as ones with separate grinders.

I don't want to spend more than I need to - but reliability and the convenience of hot enough coffee out weigh
buying the cheapest machine that would otherwise do the job.

Many Thanks for your thoughts.

Jack

pacificmanitou

#2: Post by pacificmanitou »

First, that machine would be great. Why not repair it? What model is it, maybe we can help, or take it off your hands and provide some upgrade capital. Many around here, me included, like projects. :D

Not sure why your main concern is that its hot enough. Any unit that is at operational temperature is going to be hot enough to produce proper coffee.

As far as a grinder goes, a Mazzer Super Jolly ($300 used, $700 new) is a solid choice. You can also go with a compak k10, which is the top end of grinding available. Its $1500 new, and sometimes shows up used for under $1000.

As far as a machine is concerned, an L1 or Bezzera Strega would be a modernized version of a manual machine optimized for home use. More information on your volume and usage habits would help determine the best machine.
LMWDP #366

GVDub
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by GVDub »

Jack, when you say "manual," do you mean lever or pump driven (pull a lever that loads a spring or push a button and a pump comes on)?

A 20-year-old machine of whatever type is likely to need some serious service, even it it's only been used for a handful of coffees a day. There are lots of newer machines that will be easier to use (probably), and many grinders out there, as well. Some idea of budget or a little more detail in what you're looking for would be helpful.

Machines with built-in grinders are usually not a good bet, as the warm moist interior of an espresso machine is not kind to coffee stored in a grinder above it, or to the moving parts of said grinder. The price you pay for convenience is a much greater likelihood of things breaking down sooner.
"Experience is a comb nature gives us after we are bald."
Chinese Proverb
LMWDP#238

Jsck (original poster)

#4: Post by Jsck (original poster) »

Thanks for the reply to my post. My Gaggia is pump driven. I agree that the combination of a grinder and a maker tend to work at cross purposes. I have a 5 year old Saeco combination plumbed in at my weekend house and for the two coffees a day, two days a week, 20 weeks a year - it has worked fine, but who know what the future holds.

Do you have a brand and model you recommend?

Jsck (original poster)

#5: Post by Jsck (original poster) »

Hi:

Thanks for your reply to my post. My Gaggia has taken 3 services in the last 12 months and they run about $300 each. Besides, the inconcenience of going a week with instant coffee while they repair it, has pushed me over the edge. Right now, it leaks from the bottom and the power it draws blows out my GFI plug each time it is plugged in.

I'm in LA, what is it worth?

My budget for a new machine is up to $1500. What is the best machine I can get for that price? How much is that L1 or Bezera Strega you mentioned? I'm not familiar with any of these brands so I'm grateful for any help that I can get.

GVDub
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by GVDub »

$1500 combined for grinder and machine, or just for the machine? The Bezzera Strega is that for the plumbed in-only version. Switchable between tanked and plumbed is about $2k, and is likely your most affordable choice for a commercial lever group. The Londinium 1 (aka L-1) is close to $3k including shipping from London (where they're made). See my thread below for a discussion of relative merits between the two.

Your grinder is likely fine with a new set of burrs. Which Gaggia grinder is it? I've got one of the big MD85 Gaggias and it's a wonderful grinder. Burrs can be anywhere from $30-75 depending on the machine.

If you're stepping away from a manual lever machine, there are lots of options in your general price range, so it's down to usage and how many drinks you need to make in extreme circumstances (like making cappas for friends at a party). One of the many E-61 based machines might do you, depending on just what you're looking for.

Do you know the exact model of Gaggia machine you have and is it 120 or 220v? 15 or 20 amp draw? Single group?

I'm in L.A. as well, and would be glad to help you get things sorted.
"Experience is a comb nature gives us after we are bald."
Chinese Proverb
LMWDP#238