newbie breakthrough: measuring extraction by weight - Page 3

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#21: Post by Peppersass »

RapidCoffee wrote:We are definitely on the same page here. In fact, I'd go a step further: the only reason for weighing the beverage is to compute a brew ratio.
When I first read this I agreed, but after some thought I concluded that weighing the beverage can serve another purpose, albeit not necessarily a critical one. But it's something I make use of.

If you have really consistent equipment, and if your technique is consistent, and if you've matched the timing of the beverage weight and shot color/viscosity to what you consider to be the best taste, then you can watch the scale under the cup and cut the shot when it reaches the target beverage weight. For some people, this may be easier and less subjective than using the more subtle indicator of color/viscosity.

Of course, you can use a shot timer for the same purpose, but I prefer to watch the scale.

Note that this will only work as long as all the parameters remain the same. As the coffee ages, the optimum cutoff point usually changes. But you don't have to wait until the end of the shot to know that this has happened. It will become evident early in the shot, when the flow rate changes from the dialed-in rate. The change is almost always obvious, but can be confirmed with a quick glance at the shot timer. In almost every case, I can tell by the number of seconds it takes for the first drops to appear at the spouts. If it took 10 seconds when I dialed in, it will be remain within 1-2 seconds of that during the period when the coffee is still at its peak. If I see the drops appearing significantly sooner or later, then I know something has changed and I have to make adjustments (this is when Jim recommends increasing or decreasing the dose.)

I try to consume the beans prior to this happening, so normally I don't have to change anything and I can use the scale to determine the cutoff point. I could use the timer or color/viscosity, but my eye tends to go to the scale first, then confirm with the other two indicators. This is probably because the scale is the easiest of the three indicators to check quickly when pulling a shot and steaming milk at the same time. My scale's display has bright blue LED characters (not LCD), so it really stands out. It's also down low, around where my eyes are gazing as I steam the milk. I can see the bottom of the flow there, too, but again the scale is more visible and less subjective.