Jiro Dreams of Sushi- Analogy to Fine Coffee/Espresso - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
yakster
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by yakster »

The Linea Caffee twitter account tweeted a link to Daibo Dreamed of Coffee, seems relevant to this thread.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

John P

#12: Post by John P »

First, there a few 3 Michelin Star Sushi-ya in Tokyo. Sukiyabashi-Jiro is fantastic! We had dinner at his son's place this past year; it was impossible to get into the old man's place. I've had my fair share of excellent sushi in Japan, but this was on another level. Best meal and dining experience I have ever had. Ever. Worth every penny.

The best regarded sushi chef right now in Japan is a 41 yr old named Saito. 7 seat bar, 3 star Michelin chef on the outskirts of Tokyo, and he's 41. 41! We were on a waiting list, but couldn't get in. Most of these places you have to book the first day of the month prior to when you are going, and they are sold out for the next entire month as early as noon that first day or as late as the 3rd day of the month. Most (not all) are dinner only.

Jiro is perhaps the most respected, and at 87 (I think now) is still regarded as one of the top practicing chefs.

It's a whole different mindset in Japan, and people like Jiro are seen as "obsessive" even by Japanese standards. If you make it to Tokyo, have a chat with Katsuyuki Tanaka, the owner of Bear Pond Espresso, he's pretty close to the idea of "shokunin" as a coffee person gets. Extremely nice guy with an interesting take on espresso.

And in fifty or sixty years we can revisit this thread and see who's still wielding their portafilter.
John Piquet
Salt Lake City, UT
caffedbolla.com