Faulty Hottop main board? - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
JamesM (original poster)

#11: Post by JamesM (original poster) »

AM, thank you for the feedback. The previous owner said the eject solenoid failed, so they bought a new one and fitted it up, but the machine no longer worked at all.

So, I have a new eject solenoid installed, but a dead board. Your option of the eject mech failing and destroying the mainboard could be spot on. I know I can check the motor and element with mains AC (without the board), so I might do that then order a new board to try out.

I'm not giving up on it, nor will I be getting rid of it.

Thanks
AngerManagement wrote:I would suggest you need to take special care as I have seen plenty of burnt resisters and teh Colours you reference as being from an Australian look nothing like the burnt resister...

Would need to see under a strong magnifying Lamp to say for sure..

In addition there are tricks to measuring these types of resistors after minor burns to get a close idea...

Further more a resistor burns like that with excess current / voltage. Would suggest a FET or High Power transistor has maybe blown as well.

WHY !!! What did the last person DO or try to DO ?

1: Wrong Supply ?

2: Blown element ? New board and it will burn out again

3: Eject coil shorted ? New board and it will burn out again

If you do not find the root cause, tossing one or two parts will only lead to more $$$ wasted. Unless your very lucky. But at $300 for a main board... Not worth the risk..

If you add in the other parts that could cause it to fail, element / solenoid / Fan ? Drum Motor etc and a new Board = GET A NEW MACHINE...

AngerManagement

#12: Post by AngerManagement »

You do not NEED AC on it to test.

In WA and else where that is called working Live and very much a NO NO.

240Vrms is what our systems are rated at and that is 680 peak to peak of the AC supply... Not only HURT it can kill with ease... AND WA has one of the highest rates of shock and deaths, and not mining...

All items that are switched / driven or routed via the main board must be checked before you put a NEW $300 board in.... OR it will cost you $$$

Now if you were around the corner, I have fixed a few and could possible do so again, but some of the later boards take some effort and you need a Hot Top to test, once the board is repaired.
Ability is nothing without opportunity. - Napoleon Bonaparte

ira
Team HB

#13: Post by ira »

JamesM wrote:AM, thank you for the feedback. The previous owner said the eject solenoid failed, so they bought a new one and fitted it up, but the machine no longer worked at all.
Or is it possible that the board died which looked like the eject solenoid didn't work? People are notoriously bad at troubleshooting.