San Marino AEP-1 Junior

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
fredk01

#1: Post by fredk01 »

I've come across this machine locally and am looking for more info on it. Its an early '90s semi-auto model (no 'spensive brains to replace :) ).

From searches it is similar to various Astoria single group machines like the Argenta and probably shares most of the same guts, but some of the specs differ. All of the Astoria models appear to have a 5 liter boiler and, on the 110 amp models, have 1700/2000w 17/20 amp heating elements. I can't run a 20 amp circuit in my apartment and don't think its a good idea to hook it up to the same circuit as the fridge.

This one is supposed to run 110/15amp. It is also unusually small at 16" Wide x 15" High x 13" Deep. All the Astoria models are 14x20x20 in some combination.

Has anyone heard of this particular model/variation?

fredk01 (original poster)

#2: Post by fredk01 (original poster) »

Lots of views, no responses.

I've done lots of searching and cannot find anything comparable. 1700W is the smallest Astoria replacement heating element, so I'm thinking this machine requires a 20 amp circuit.

I'll email the seller for a picture of the electrical/regulatory badge, but it doesn't seem right.

Advertisement
ira
Team HB

#3: Post by ira »

I don't know about anyone else, but I dropped by hoping for a picture. You'd probably have better results if you posted a picture of the machine.

Ira

JimH

#4: Post by JimH »

Sorry for the delayed response, the holidays are kind of busy for me.

I have a similar machine made by Wega, another CMA company. It does use a 1500 watt element, which is bent very short to fit into what appears to be about a 2 liter boiler. I haven't seen anyone selling a replacement, but it might be available if ordered directly from CMA.

Among the positives, it has a great recovery time and steaming power. Flush and go is the required technique for temperature surfing. Most parts are commonly available, as it uses the solenoid version of the E61 group. Most of the parts (excluding the boiler and heating element) are right off the shelf. It really is one of the most consumer friendly of the small commercial machines. Once you master its idiosyncrasies you should have no trouble pulling great shots.

Among the negatives, they didn't make many so it might be difficult replacing the boiler, heat exchanger or heating element. If there is a chance of freeze damage I would probably pass on it. It also uses the Zecchin pump motor, which has internal water cooling pipes. They scale up pretty easily, so an abused machine will require some finicky descaling. It also makes the internal plumbing look like copper spaghetti, you will frequently have to remove multiple pipes to get access to the one that needs tightening. It is definitely not wrench friendly.

All that being said, I would be happy to buy another similar machine, just be careful about any potential damage to irreplaceable parts.

fredk01 (original poster)

#5: Post by fredk01 (original poster) »

No worries Jim. Holiday/family stuff comes first. Hmm, you bring up a good point with parts availability if this is indeed similar to your Wega. Don't think I want to go down that road.

Ira. You're right. I've been off for the week and it seems my brain has shut down. Looking at Jim's post, this is either a machine with a serious parts availability issue, or a machine that is just too big for my situation.

Thank you both for your replies.