Astoria Argenta SAE2 Pump Test/Trouble

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Orochium

#1: Post by Orochium »

Greetings!

I am somewhat new to this board, but was hoping I could seek out some assistance testing and troubleshooting an issue with an Astoria Argenta SAE 2 that my partner and I have been tasked with fixing up and getting the whole thing up to snuff.

We got it used from a church in town, but there were a ton of problems, the following have been replaced, while trying to diagnose various pressure issues (boiler and group head):

1. Fix / replace Dual-Pressure Gauge (Works now)
2. Fix / replace Anti-vacuum valve (Works now)
3. Inpect Giemme Logic Board (Appears to work)
4. Fix / replace Seized Internal-Motor (Does Not {seem to} work)
5. Decarbonize Pressurestate (Works now)

With the above repairs, the following is observed:

1. Boiler pressure now happily sits in the green-area where it should
2. Dosing solenoids / Manual Draw / Programmable Keypads function properly
3. Temperature is good to Group Heads
4. With the House-water inlet run to the procon vane-pump inlet, the outlet of the procon vane-pump run to the inlet of the motor housing (cooling) pipe, and then the outlet of the motor housing (cooling) pipe run to the water-distributor under the deck by the drain pan, the following is observed:

- House water pressure is about 4 bars, once the machine is turned on, the dispensing pressure needle jumps too and stays here
- During dispensing, water pressure never seems to rise (or fall) to the 8-9 bar target for a proper pull
- We replaced the motor hoping this would fix the pressure issue, and the motor stator cap, but we can't tell if the motor even kicks on.
- The pressure-adjustment screw on the side of the Procon vane-pump doesn't seem to do anything palpable and has no metered change on the 4-bar pressure at the gauge/groups.

Can anyone advise us on how to:
1. Check that the motor is receiving voltage properly from the Giemme board
2. If the motor is coming on, is there a way to check if the pressure-adjustment screw is somehow disconnected and not functioning properly? When we pulled it out last, the main components seemed to be a Jam nut, threaded-adjustment screw, and a spring. (Is the spring supposed to be connected to something?)
3. It seemed to me when we had the Procon vane-pump housing off of the service motor, the hub spun freely, which makes me think the Procon pump is fine.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated and very very welcome. We'd love to know this thing is working properly after all the work we've poured into it!

PS - using the manual fill, we can feel the motor 'jump' a bit, but to me it didn't sound as though it was turning on, just that water pressure was suddenly pulsing through the assembly.

Thanks tremendously in advance! :D

Compass Coffee

#2: Post by Compass Coffee »

Test voltage with a voltmeter.

Since you can't tell if the motor is on, you could visually test the motor by removing the pump and observing the motors pump drive connector.

Test the pump/motor by disconnecting line from mains water and see if it will draw water from bucket.

Pump adjustment, hmmm, try one extreme if nada the other extreme adjustment and the middle. If still nada and the motor is known to be working not sure next logical step...
Mike McGinness

Advertisement
Orochium (original poster)

#3: Post by Orochium (original poster) »

Wow, Thanks for the quick reply!

Voltmeter is a given, I'm planning to do this currently, but any additional feedback you could provide would be helpful:

1. Should I test at the pump electrical feed? (Two red, and two black wires) - and what voltage should I be reading (assumably) across a single red/black pair?

2. Is there a good probe point on the Giemme board to make sure the Pump relay activates properly?

About the adjustment screw: I'm assuming that turning it clockwise (inserting) the screw 'increases' the pressure, and turning it counter-clockwise (withdrawing) the screw 'decreases' the pressure. [just seeking validation there]

I will pull the collar clamp shortly from the Procon pump to see if there's any rotation on the motor hub, since this shouldn't result in a leak if everythings connected right, and if that doesn't go...guess we've got some more exploratory surgery on this old beasty.

Thanks a ton for your help :)

Compass Coffee

#4: Post by Compass Coffee »

1) Hmmm, sounds like not wire colored by code. Both red and black are supposed to be 110v opposite phases to make 220v and green or white the return neutral path IIRC.

2) Don't have a clue, there are many different Giemme control boards! If couldn't get specific schematic I'd trace wires back.

Yes clockwise increases pressure counter-clockwise decreases.
Mike McGinness