Hario Clear Coffee Grinder?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
SpromoSapiens

#1: Post by SpromoSapiens »

I can't seem to find much info on this, it seems to be a relatively recent product:

http://coffeeangel.com/product/hario-cl ... d-grinder/

Going rate is about US$70; can be had on Amazon Prime. That means it can be bought and returned with ease from anywhere, with "free" shipping. The above link is the most descriptive I've found, and it implies that the burrs are Skerton burrs, which from what I've read around here means it's probably not worth even an experimental purchase if intended for espresso use.

If the suction feature really worked, though, it would be pretty tempting. I've been fantasizing about a fully motorless espresso station, now that I'm more of a leverhead. Naturally a Pharos is my most starry-eyed aspiration, and I'm waiting for reports on the Lido II. But then there's this thing. Cheap, sleek-looking (for a plastic thing), "mounts" on and off the counter with ease?

Thoughts? Experiences?

zammie

#2: Post by zammie »

Looks very classy for the price! I can imagine it looking good next to a syphon or aeropress. Quite a conversation starter if you do some 'live' brewing in front of guests too :mrgreen:

Some say yay and some nay to Harios for espresso. They sound okay once modded. I don't have one but at that price it would be a great for home and travel for any method. the suction feature is 'groundbreaking' in my book. One handed grinding!
dizzy

LMWDP #455

Advertisement
SpromoSapiens (original poster)

#3: Post by SpromoSapiens (original poster) »

while I am tempted to try it out, I guess it does seem pretty obvious that it is not ideal for espresso. Wishful thinking, i suppose, prompted my original post. Any grinder that small, intended to be covering as wide range of methods, will inevitably not have the fine adjustability necessary for optimized espresso as days go by. as a travel grinder for pour over or aeropress however... Tempting!

Burner0000

#4: Post by Burner0000 »

A modded Skerton (to stepless) works well for espresso but in terms of build quality you get what you paid for. That being said my Skerton is still in new shape and I have owned it for over a year. If it has Skerton burrs I would assume the rest of the shaft is also Skerton parts. I would bet you could mod this exactly the same for approx $20 to PFP & stepless. I am gonna stick with the Skerton tho. Has options to swap out for bigger mason jars or directly into a mason mug and the new model has a lid. I like the overall look of the Skerton over this new grinder. Your just paying an additional $20 for suction support.
Roast it, Grind it, Brew it!.. Enjoy it!..