Elektra Semiautomatica - Second shot always chokes - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
oren (original poster)

#11: Post by oren (original poster) »

DanoM wrote:15g in and 15g out doesn't necessarily mean you have the same 15g. If all the successive shots are choking the machine then the first shot is the anomaly, not the 2nd shot on. The other guy that had problems with grinder retention also had the same issue, he was weighing in and out, but new grinds knock out the old grinds and that was his problem.
Thanks Dan,

Followed your line of thought and experimented, using the first 15 g out of the grinder for the second shot and using the second 15g out of the grinder for the first shot. But, it doesn't seem to make any difference...

But I did start also experimenting with different water levels in the water tank and that does make a difference!

Oren

oren (original poster)

#12: Post by oren (original poster) »

erics wrote:It sounds as if your pump is being starved of water. Describe and/or preferably post a few pics of your water system upstream of the machine.
Eric,

You seem to have been right! It seems that if I have less than 1/4 of a full water tank, I don't get enough pressure. It seems strange, as the pump should create the right pressure as long as it is fed with water? Wonder if this happens to other Elektra Semiautomatica owner? Maybe I will start a new thread with that specific question.

Oren

da gino

#13: Post by da gino »

It never happened on mine (which I loved), although I usually tried to keep it relatively full.

erics
Supporter ★

#14: Post by erics »

Well, I should not have been as it was my error in thinking this was a different Elektra with a rotary pump.

I agree with your "paper assessment" that if the tank has some level of water, all should be well. With the tank empty, I would try to pass some flexible brass rod "down the hole" to the pump and try to feel for some obstruction. You will need to (obviously) disconnect the pump suction connection.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

tony espresso

#15: Post by tony espresso »

Ulka pumps usually work great but there has been the odd time I pulled a new one from inventory and prime it outside of the machine to test before installing in a customer's machine and there is a problem.
Your issue could be a one way valve inside the stem of the pump that is failing. First shot lots of pressure, next shot horrible pressure. The one way valve is letting pressure back through the pump. Since your machine is new and under warranty bring it back to where you bought it.
I've rebuilt many semi-automatica Elektra's and have worked with Ulka pumps and have seen there failings.
cheers

algue

#16: Post by algue »

I agree
It is probably a problem that would be solved by simply replacing the ulka pump
But as the machine is new you should have it fixed for free by official assistance
alberto

oren (original poster)

#17: Post by oren (original poster) »

Thanks Tony and Alberto!
I am afraid it isn't bought in any local shop but from Italy, so I will try fiddling a bit more before I give up and send it back.

algue

#18: Post by algue »

An ULKA EX5 pump costs few euros (about 15, I think)
You could buy one and try to replace it
It is a not too complicated job, if you know some tricks
Then, If you solve the problem you could contact the seller and try to get 15 euros back
alberto