Pre 2000 La Pavoni portafilter

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
alancbrownmd

#1: Post by alancbrownmd »

i want to purchase a second portafilter for my 1980's la Pavoni - 49 mm basket. i have the type with the spring which i love since the basket doesn't fall out. i just need the holder since i turn my own handles. any ideas on a source? it can be new or used.

homeburrero
Team HB

#2: Post by homeburrero »

These are almost never available on eBay, but at the moment there happens to be a brass one on sale.

New ones are available from Stefano's Espressocare (but no retaining spring) and Orphan Espresso sells the Richard Penney bottomless (which does have a retaining spring.) The Penney may have a fit issue, and will need filing down the undersides of the ears for use on a Pavoni.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

DanoM

#3: Post by DanoM »

I've been searching for a cheap portafilter for the Pre Millenium machines myself, but found they are hard to find at a low price. Stefano's espressocare.com has the best price on them new, but as pointed out there is no retainer ring groove. (If you have a friend with a metal lathe you might get them to add the retainer groove for you since you have one as an example.)

I also have the grooved portafilter, and really like it. I'd like to eventually chop this one so it will handle the larger MCAL double basket and give me some visual feedback, but until I have a spare I'm just not comfortable that's what I want to do.
LMWDP #445