A more forgiving espresso machine for a newbie! - Page 5

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Nurk2

#41: Post by Nurk2 »

Bonsai Doug wrote:Must be the season! My Gaggia Classic arrived Monday. After several grinder adjustments (Baratza Virtuoso Preciso), I'm pulling some seriously good doubles.

And yes, the wand and drip tray are kinda funky, but the machine is producing some really good shots.
Hey, Bonsai Doug. Welcome to Team Gaggia Classic! I saw your registration over on the user group. Hope you're following along with the OPV mod!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If it sounds good, it is good
- Duke Ellington

Nurk2

#42: Post by Nurk2 »

Noangel72 wrote:Yes, I am now using single wall filters. They arrived this morning. Coffee tastes a lot better and pump sounds the same, so I assume I can use them safely until I lower the pressure. I've ordered a portafilter pressure gauge on ebay, so I will change pressure as soon as this arrives! One question: the little plastic bit that fits inside the hole of the portafilter, should I still use it with single wall basket or is it just for the pressurized ones?

Re Gaggia group: I am now registered and activated with same nickname!
Yes, I saw you over there. The forum needs some life! Go ask a bunch of questions!

The black button thingy? Throw it out. It's only for the pressurized baskets. Throw it all out.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If it sounds good, it is good
- Duke Ellington

Bonsai Doug

#43: Post by Bonsai Doug »

Nurk2 wrote:[...] As for the baskets: The new machines we've seen come through here recently are delivered with three baskets. If you look CLOSELY at the bottom, you'll see that two of them are pressurized baskets; they have a single tiny whole. This is for use with pods. They create a false crema by forcing the water through that tiny hole at very high pressure. The machine is set up to use these baskets, which is why it comes from the factory set with such high pressure. [...]
Just FYI... Mine came with only two baskets - one pressurized and one non-pressurized double basket. Personally, not even considering pods, so the pressurized basket remains wrapped in plastic.

Noangel72 (original poster)

#44: Post by Noangel72 (original poster) replying to Bonsai Doug »

No, I got a 1 cup and a 2 cup both pressurized with my machine!

IntrepidQ3

#45: Post by IntrepidQ3 »

Noangel72 wrote:No, I got a 1 cup and a 2 cup both pressurized with my machine!
That's how my came too :?. Luckly when I the bottomless PF that came with a non-pressurized double basket the same time I order my machine.

I have not found a use for the little black nub thing. I am not even sure where I put it. It is lost in the kitchen somewhere I think.
Noangel72 wrote:I just noticed that my Gaggia doesn't have the two screws to remove the top plate as in the video....any idea how to remove this without making a mess? I just bought mine so I guess it's a newer model than the one in the video...

Also, link on the Gaggia user group to the OPV adjustment page doesn't work......

Anyway, can I use the single wall filter with pressure as is or will I get coffee splattering out of the spouts?
Did you figure the screws issue? If not, a picture would be helpful for us to provide you more assistance.

For the OPV, I am not sure why it is not working over in GUG. I wanted to provide the link that I used, but its not working either... It says there has been a 'critical error'... Anyways, the two links Nurk posted are good and will get you where you need to be.
"As you know, an explorer's temperament requires two basic qualities: optimism in attempt, criticism in work."-Freud

#46: Post by Noangel72 (original poster) »

Yes, thank you, I managed to take the lid off! Haven't touched the opv yet though....I think I will wait for the pressure gauge to arrive first! Adjustment seems a simple enough job anyway! If anything, I'm wondering, should I fill the portafilter with coffee when taking the pressure measurement? I'm thinking the gauge screws onto the spout, so coffee puck would surely influence pressure reading!

IntrepidQ3

#47: Post by IntrepidQ3 replying to Noangel72 »

I would not add coffee to the PF for the reading. It certainly would make a difference in the reading though. The reason I say no is because you will have coffee running into the gauge. I am not sure if it would damage it, but it definitely be very difficult to clean.

I am not sure what type of gauge you will be using, but there are two means of taking readings static and dynamic.

If it is a static, meaning there is no valve to let water though, the reading will be ~1 Bar higher than if you were pulling a shot. So, if you adjust with a static shoot for ~10 Bar, so when you pull your shot it will be ~9 Bar.

If it is a dynamic gauge reading, meaning you have a valve to let water through to simulate the puck, then you will get a reading similar to as if you were pulling a shot.

Hope this makes sense, if not let me know and I will try again :D .
"As you know, an explorer's temperament requires two basic qualities: optimism in attempt, criticism in work."-Freud

#48: Post by Noangel72 (original poster) »

Yes, makes sense! Thank you. I'd say it's a static anyway.