How much ground coffee does OE Pharos hold?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
JWK

#1: Post by JWK »

I just took delivery of my Pharos. Ground up my first pot of press coffee this morning. I grind about two ozs. of beans for our typical morning cups.

Does anyone know how much the bottom holds before it starts backing up into the burrs or becomes a problem in any way? I know before they put the funnel in it would hold more than I could ever worry about, but I figure that funnel probably eats up a lot of space.

Anyway, our daughter is coming in for Christmas week and we are going to be making a LOT of coffee. I need to know when to dump it out before proceeding with more grinding.

Thanks and I hope everyone's having a great holiday season so far.

Nate42

#2: Post by Nate42 »

I don't know the exact capacity, but its more than 40 and less than 80. I use 80g for my large 12 cup press, and I have to break it up in to two batches.

happycat

#3: Post by happycat »

You can always remove the plastic ring and funnel and grind "naked" on a cutting board. That's my preferred method. To battle static, I wire the bottom plate to a grounded source (clipleads between the pharos and my Gaggia chassis) but others would add a drop or two of water to the beans. I have a clean paintbrush to handle the coffee (fold up the cutting board and sweep the coffee into a portafilter).
LMWDP #603

sweaner

#4: Post by sweaner »

I easily grind 30 grams. Not sure if it would do 60, and you would not be able to fit 60 in the hopper anyway. I use an OE dosing funnel as my "hopper," and I still would not be able to do 60 grams. Go for 1 ounce x 2 and you will be fine.
Scott
LMWDP #248

pacificmanitou

#5: Post by pacificmanitou »

Voodoo mod holds a ton 8)

My guess is the original holds about 30, but for press pot grinds, you could probably grind straight into the press pot, holding it above. Coarse grinds don't clump
LMWDP #366