Considering converting from propane to natural gas:

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Chad C.

#1: Post by Chad C. »

I just moved into a house with a nice gas stove, and my CMA two group propane machine would match the brushed stainless finish of each of my new kitchen's appliances. At least that's my rationalization for putting such a behemoth in my kitchen.

I know enough to have correctly set up my propane system, but I don't know much about natural gas or gas fittings. To be clear, I won't be doing anything unless I'm sure I know what I'm doing, and I'm hoping to get some points in the right direction here.

* I know that there are different jets for different gasses. Where might I find these jets, and which should I try?

* I know nothing about the regulation of natural gas, as compared to my existing propane regulator.

* I don't know what-all I'd need to need to run my stove and my espresso machine from a common natural gas source.

Many of us know that our commercial lever machines can run on natural gas, but have any of us actually seen one do it? It might not meet the building code requirements even if it were set correctly, but if it could be done right, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Thanks in advance for any knowledge provided.

rpavlis

#2: Post by rpavlis »

Burning propane and burning methane (natural gas) require dramatically different ratios of oxygen to fuel.

CH₄ + 2O₂ -> CO₂ + 2H₂O

But

C₃H₈ + 5O₂ -> 3CO₂ + 4H₂O

Gases under low pressures obey the ideal gas law, PV=nRT, so the same number of molecules of any type will occupy about the same volume under the same temperature and pressure conditions.

This means that you need 2.5 times as much air to burn a given volume of gaseous propane as to burn a given volume of methane. The problem is one of stoichiometry.

This means the jet size must be adjusted when switching between propane and methane.

Oskuk

#3: Post by Oskuk »

On manual
on page 13 there is a table on these jets on methane/lpg gases.

Clint Orchuk

#4: Post by Clint Orchuk »

Hey Chad, when I got the gas kit from Astoria, it came with an assortment of jets for LPG and natural gas. The LPG jets produced too small of a flame running on LPG and the NG jets produced too much soot (bigger flame) on LPG. Astoria sent me their smallest NG jet which gave me a bigger flame (enough heat) with less soot. I also have an Astoria jetting chart that came with the kit. I'll have a look at the shop for it tomorrow.

Chad C. (original poster)

#5: Post by Chad C. (original poster) »

Wow, that's good info! My sincere thanks to each of you for it. I'll start by examining my existing jet for an indication of its size. I know the history of my machine from new, and it think it's got to be the factory installed jet size, which is said to be for natural gas. It is however working perfectly for propane, with no soot or flame size problems.

The machine would sit right next to the stove. My kitchen is spacious enough that the machine won't dwarf it's setting, and my wife wants it in the kitchen as much as I do. I've got a Flo-Jet for water. I could plug it in, as it's 110v, but I'm looking for the thermal stability and economy of gas. I suppose I could crack open a window & use propane, too but there's a natural gas connection right next to where I want to put it... I'm rebuilding its groups at the moment, and once I get the right parts (...), I hope to be educated about the gas in my home, and the fittings required to use it.

In the interim, I'm using a single group Astoria solenoid machine that's not exactly blowing my hair back. Am I spoiled?

Oskuk

#6: Post by Oskuk »

My Astoria 2 groups says in the badge that it is adjusted for liquid gas 50mbar, but the user-manual-table says nothing for 50mbar. Anyway here in Finland the bottle-gas is after regulator 30mbar. I have not studied out the jet I've got. I wonder is there some kind of standard on jets? I have on buch on jets for Lofra gas stove ;-)