Bezzera Strega - fixing leaky steam wand joint

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
F.M.

#1: Post by F.M. »

My Strega has been leaking steam for quite some time, from the area where the valve assembly goes through the front casing- essentially between 9 & 12. Tightening #9 helps, but then the steam wand is at a funky angle. I have tried PTFE paste, and also adding a thin plumbing gasket, neither really seem ideal. It seems like I need something like PTFE paste, but that hardens when it sets up, holding everything in place.

Alternately should I try to adjust 12, to tighten form the backside? It seems like it's bonded to the copper tube coming from the boiler.

I suppose the question is really, how do I tighten and seal this joint while keeping the steam wand vertical?

Appreciate any help.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by JohnB. »

Have you taken the assy. apart & inspected the seal #10? I haven't been inside mine but it looks like that seal which fits into the seal holder #11 would be responsible for containing the steam in that area.
LMWDP 267

WSH

#3: Post by WSH »

Mine started doing the same thing recently also. Agree, #10 o-ring/gasket/seal should be replaced, eventually. I just cleaned it up and torqued it down a little past vertical for now and seems to be "holding". Will add them to the list of spare parts and consumables I'm putting together.

F.M. (original poster)

#4: Post by F.M. (original poster) »

Thanks to both of you. On mine, the issue is really that the steam wand is completely loose when the wand is vertical. Finger tight is probably +1/3 of a turn past vertical, and tight (no leaks) is +1/2 turn (with the wand straight up!). To work around this I put a thin fiber plumbing gasket between #9 and the body- this takes up a thread so.

Just tightening the assembly gets rid of the leak, but I need to figure out how to "clock" the assembly so tight = vertical.

I'll look into replacing #10 as I should probably replace the head gasket as well.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by JohnB. »

I haven't looked inside in a while but I would think that if you loosen or remove the pipe connecting the boiler to fitting #12 you could tighten the steam valve in the correct position.
LMWDP 267