Porlex grinder handle mod - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
orphanespresso
Sponsor

#11: Post by orphanespresso »

Your analysis and mod is bogus (IMO)...the problem with the Porlex is that it is generally cheese. It is not well made enough for any extended use. The handle/axle junction is sloppy and poorly fit, but it IS easily removable which seems a consumer preference...can't fault a company for prioritizing a feature even if it causes the whole thing to die an early death as long as it helps sell be product.

We find no record of you having purchased a Lido, sent back a Lido, that I repaired a Lido etc, so you may have the Lido confused with some other hand grinder. Out of 745 grinders there was one that the burr broke free (I began forming a flat spot in the carrier after that) and one that had an under sized burr that let the burr slip past the flat spot. 2 out of 745 is not bad, and you were not one of those 2, at least by our records.

From my reading of this thread it seems that you made your best move on that electron driven unit.

levydav (original poster)

#12: Post by levydav (original poster) »

Lido #185 (my wife's). I don't mean to disparage your work - OE is a great resource for the home espresso community.

I agree that the Porlex should not be compared to the Lido - they're in different classes. However, that so many people are (presumably) trying to use their Porlexs for espresso suggests an unmet need. I would be thrilled to have an espresso grinder with the size of the Rosco Mini and the price of the Lido.

jpender

#13: Post by jpender »

levydav wrote:...the Lido is so long (a "knee grinder"). It could be greatly improved by cutting the bean chamber in half and replacing the grounds jar with one half the height.
Knee grinder? I hold mine in my hand just like the Porlex. It's so much nicer since it isn't designed to fall apart when pulled on like the Porlex and it grinds at least twice as fast and more uniformly as well. But I agree with you about reducing the size. Someone posted here on HB about his travel size LIDO modification. I'd be tempted to do that except I don't have the tools or machining skills and even modified that way it would still be heavy.

I took my Porlex mini completely apart last night to get a good look at the shaft. Every time I disassemble it I'm disgusted by the quantity of old coffee grounds that are entrapped in the tiny thing. But at 230g I doubt I'll find a lighter and more compact travel grinder.

#14: Post by levydav (original poster) »

Someone posted here on HB about his travel size LIDO modification. I'd be tempted to do that except I don't have the tools or machining skills and even modified that way it would still be heavy.
That's cool. As the poster said, shortening the hopper just requires a hacksaw. The lathe was used so he could make a quick-release handle.

Doug, does you supplier for jars for the Lido make them in a shorter height?

I took my Porlex mini completely apart last night to get a good look at the shaft. Every time I disassemble it I'm disgusted by the quantity of old coffee grounds that are entrapped in the tiny thing.
I felt the same way about my Macap grinder. I originally made washers to take up the space around the burrs. But I'm dubious that this matters - those grounds may be largely stagnant (otherwise, why would they design the grinders that way?).

jpender

#15: Post by jpender »

levydav wrote:The lathe was used so he could make a quick-release handle.
You misread his description. The lathe was used on the other end of the shaft.

I've wondered if he ever found the small metal jar he was looking for. I've located shorter (125ml) 70-400 plastic jars but nothing in metal or glass. There are 70mm glass canning jars that size but then you'd have to change the cap on the LIDO.
levydav wrote:...those grounds may be largely stagnant (otherwise, why would they design the grinders that way?).
Largely stagnant but still undesirable, don't you think? I can imagine another reason why they didn't bother to design it differently.

jpender

#16: Post by jpender »

orphanespresso wrote:...the problem with the Porlex is that it is generally cheese. It is not well made enough for any extended use.
I have to chuckle reading this. I don't disagree, but one of the deciding factors in my getting a Porlex was the text (at that time) on the OE website:
The body is 100% stainless steel and the fit of the body parts is excellent. The conical burr is ceramic, and is the same as the burr in the Porlex Tall. It lends itself to easy cleaning and a long rust free life. Inner spring mechanism keeps the burr evenly adjusted even on the coarser grinds.

...This is an extremely compact coffee grinder, perfect for travel or every day use at home! We think you are REALLY going to like this grinder!
If instead the webpage had said the Porlex is "generally cheese" I probably wouldn't have bought one!

#17: Post by levydav (original poster) »

I've wondered if he ever found the small metal jar he was looking for. I've located shorter (125ml) 70-400 plastic jars but nothing in metal or glass. There are 70mm glass canning jars that size but then you'd have to change the cap on the LIDO.
Here are two mockups for a shorter grounds containers that I fished out of my metal scraps bin:

The left is stainless and very stiff. It's 3-1/16" diameter x 1-1/4" tall.

The right is aluminum and less stiff. It's 3-1/8" diameter (excluding the bead) x 1-1/8" tall.

The Lido is 2-7/8" diameter.

If anyone wants these , just let me know.