Rocket R58 lever won't return to the down position - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
cannonfodder
Team HB

#11: Post by cannonfodder »

Try more like once a week unless you like stinky rancid coffee.

Espresso Machine Cleaning - Why, How, and When
Dave Stephens

Rocketman

#12: Post by Rocketman »

Hi
I have a Rocket R58 and it was doing the same as yours.
The lever would not stay in the down position, so I tried a number of things, different lube on the shaft, different tension on the flange nut but nothing sorted the problem.
what I noticed was that when I had it stripped out and the camshaft removed (there is a youtube clip on how to cure a squeaky grouphead lever that shows you how to remove and replace the shaft, seals etc.) that there is a brass stop that the cam on the camshaft stops against when the lever is in the down position. I located the shaft back into its hole and marked the cam where it touches the brass stop, I then removed it and carefully held it in a vice and using a round file the same diameter as the brass stop filed a small semicircle across the cam to allow the camshaft to turn anticlockwise more. It takes a few attempts to get it right but since doing this the problem has not reoccurred. I cleaned the camshaft with some green scotchbrite before I reassembled just to remove any burrs and sharp edges from the filing and seems to have done the trick. I am not saying this is what you should do but it solved the problem for me.
Hope you find this useful.
Best of luck.
Simon.