Brand new Mazzer Super Jolly - any must-do mods? - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
cannonfodder
Team HB

#11: Post by cannonfodder »

Remove the finger guard so you can sweep out the discharge chute after grinding and run 5 pounds of junk coffee though it to season the burrs. that is all the work you really need to do.
Dave Stephens

number9 (original poster)

#12: Post by number9 (original poster) replying to cannonfodder »

I have always had this question: if you are "seasoning" the burrs, why use "junk" coffee? Does the oil from the coffee stay on the burrs? If so, then wouldn't you want "good" coffee oils on them? Perhaps I just need to research "seasoning" the burrs more?

HB
Admin

#13: Post by HB »

Running coffee through new burrs wears off flashing and whatnot that were not removed during manufacture. Threads like Poor Grinder Burr Manufacturer QC elaborate on this point, e.g., comments from Jon:
JonR10 wrote:The finishing process for freshly finished metal parts in a machine shop is called "de-burring". In my work we disqualify vendors who do a poor job of finishing the parts after they come off the machines, so it's a surprise to me seeing such poor finishing work on these "precision" parts.
Search on "burr break in" or similar phrase for other discussions. For what it's worth, I run 2# of coffee through a consumer grinder (e.g., Baratza Vario or Preciso) and 5# through a commercial grinder (e.g., Mazzer Super Jolly). Remember: 30 seconds on, 60 seconds off to avoid overheating the motor. I don't use "junk" coffee because I prefer not to sully a new grinder with nasty oils; instead I use good old stale coffee that I have lying around or donated by our local roaster, Counter Culture Coffee.
Dan Kehn