Bodka Coffee - Main Squeeze Espresso - Page 3

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
beer&mathematics

#21: Post by beer&mathematics »

Bodka's Main Squeeze (MS) keeps getting better. I think David is doing a fantastic job with the MS and keeps fine tuning his espresso. I haven't had it in a while but a new bag came today and I enjoyed the first shot even more than what I remembered. It needs a bit more rest but that's not David's fault now is it :P
LMWDP #431

mgthompson

#22: Post by mgthompson »

I just got a bag of main squeeze the other day. Excellent espresso, especially considering it is priced per pound rather than twelve ounces, and it's a flat five dollars to ship.

DanoM

#23: Post by DanoM replying to mgthompson »

I've been pulling Main Squeeze for 2 weeks on my new Strega as a baseline espresso while learning the machine. The beans pull well at full pump pressure as well as low pressure. Yields a rich crema with lots of red & brown striping. It's been a pleasure to use these beans for my dialing in of grinder-dose-machine balance to yield shot after shot of really nice espresso.

Now that the machine is dialed in and I'm happy it's time to start testing the Guatemalan-Huehuetenango beans Bodka sent me from their recent giveaway! I'll have to start a report on that later.

Hats off to David!
LMWDP #445

mgthompson

#24: Post by mgthompson »

Dano, I look forward to your thoughts. My experience with Main Squeeze has encouraged me to branch out as well. I think I'll get another pound of Main Squeeze, and then a pound of one of their other offerings.

DanoM

#25: Post by DanoM replying to mgthompson »

I've been happy with Bodka's Ethiopian and Guatemalan offerings in the past. David has been doing a fine job with my coffee! :D
LMWDP #445

beer&mathematics

#26: Post by beer&mathematics »

The heat is on and that means iced coffee, but which method? Hmm... decisions... I like playing with all cold brew methods, but the simplest is to put a shot into cold milk and ice.

And Main Squeeze has so far made the tastiest iced latte I've ever had. I used the La Peppina for a bigger volume shot and it's delicateness so that it minimizes the bitterness (which can't be completely removed when you pour a hot espresso into a glass of cold milk+ice).

Give it a try and let me know what you folks think:
~6oz milk (I used 2% but whole milk is even better)
~2oz ice
~14.5g/35g finer grind than usual for La Peppina, pulled cool at 197degrees

I just pulled a shot of David's Guat special, but I just wrote myself into making a MS iced latte!
LMWDP #431

DanoM

#27: Post by DanoM »

Thanks for that. I might have to give the iced latte a try. It's starting to warm up here in Los Angeles, and the wife has been asking for cooler latte foam in the morning. I generally steam by feel, so I just adjust where I cut the steam right now. Once it gets a warmer the iced latte should hit the spot!
LMWDP #445

Chert (original poster)

#28: Post by Chert (original poster) »

I'm just getting into one bag of Main Squeeze which I picked up on a diversion to the Bodka Coffee HQ while en route between Mobile, AL and Tupelo MS. I had the pleasure of meeting David and seeing some of his woodworking as well as watching my coffee being roasted. That was a good time.

I put 80 grams through a 4 hour iced drip yield 340 grams concentrate and a smooth cold brew of lingering bourbon and vanilla notes on the finish. So I recommend Main Squeeze for cold brew.
LMWDP #198

Bodka Coffee

#29: Post by Bodka Coffee »

Flint, thanks for stopping by. It was nice to meet you and your family. Also, you are the very first HB'er that I've met! And thanks for the coffee you gifted me. It makes a great PO. If anyone else is in the area and schedules allow feel free to stop by.