Banko Natural - Olympia Roasting Co

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Rikinwa

#1: Post by Rikinwa »

Warning: There will be gushing in this post. I'm sorry, I just can't help it.

I dropped by Olympia Coffee Roasting Company's Capital Way shop this afternoon to buy some of their Asterisk Decaf for a friend. While there, I tried their San Sebastian Reserva (Colombia) as a Macchiato. Wow. I really liked it.

I have often found Single Origin coffees made into espresso drinks just a bit too much for me. Sometimes too sour, sometimes just so-so. This one had a strong fruitiness that wasn't sour at all. I was impressed and quite enjoyed it.

So, I decided to go out on a limb and try their Banko Natural (Ethiopian) as well. They weren't serving it as an espresso drink so I bought 12 ounces of beans to take home. I did see that this one got a very high score on Coffee Review BUT, I have really disagreed with them before. I don't think I actually get some of the flavors they do. All I can say is that I like what I like.

At home, I ground 17 grams in an HGone (83mm) and pulled a double with my Olympia Express Cremina. I added just a bit of steamed Breve to it and was really blown away. I have never, ever actually been able to clearly identify a type of fruit taste (other than bad lemon) before. With the Banko, I could really taste dried strawberries and such a subtle chocolate that I am almost speechless. Absolutely no sourness at all and the coffee flavor was light and extremely creamy.

I have had a lot of their coffees since my workplace is just about a 1/4 mile away. I also enjoy Batdorf & Bronson (great Holiday Blend), Vivace and Cafe Ladro.

The whole time I was writing this, I kept thinking that it sounded like an Advertisement. However, I am simply really pleased with this particular coffee.

NOTE: I have no financial, business or personal relationships with anyone associated with Olympia Coffee Roasting Coimpany - other than as a very satisfied customer.

Right out of the HGone before redistribution of grounds.

After redistribution of grounds with a cocktail whisk.

After tamping with my weird concentric circle tamper - it works for me.

Shot pulled (one full lever movements worth) directly into a cappuccino cup.

After a steamed Breve added.

Brand sticker on Liquid Planet container.

grog

#2: Post by grog »

Tin Umbrella Coffee (a block from my house) sells Olympia Coffee's stuff. Completely agree with you - this particular offering from them is spectacular. I've never had a coffee with this clarity of fruit and deliniation of flavors.

I've gone through a couple of pounds of it. Not only does it make for great straight shots in the Caravel, it makes killer Americanos from the Comocafe.
LMWDP #514

TrlstanC

#3: Post by TrlstanC »

I just picked up a bag too, starting in on it this weekend. Anyone settled in on some good parameters for espresso?

[creative nickname]

#4: Post by [creative nickname] »

I just got some of this to try. I was mainly excited to make brewed cups of it, but this thread has convinced me to pull shots with it as well. When I do, I'll post back here with my impressions.
LMWDP #435

[creative nickname]

#5: Post by [creative nickname] »

I'm typically a person who likes fruity brewed cups and chocolate-dominated espressos, so pulling shots of this took me somewhat outside of my comfort zone. Even given those preferences, however, I liked this fruit-bomb of an espresso quite a bit.

I experimented a bit with the Caravel and Pharos combo in my office, until I was happy with the results. Grinding fine and high temps helped to tame this coffees acidity, yielding a lovely mouthful of strawberries and cream, with enough sweetness to keep any hint of sourness at bay. I haven't tried it with milk yet, but I imagine that would make for a very tasty dessert drink, like the specialty coffee version of a strawberry shake.

Now, for my money, I still think this coffee presents better when brewed in an immersion dripper, which offers a more even balance between its fruits and chocolate notes. But this was one of the nicer fruity espressos I've drunk in a while, so for those who favor that sort of thing, it is definitely worth a go.
LMWDP #435

Rikinwa (original poster)

#6: Post by Rikinwa (original poster) »

Yay. Glad everyone is enjoying this coffee. I don't know what it has to do with the weather, but I seem to be going back to my comfort blends more and more. I've been hitting the Batdorf and Bronson Dancing Goats along with Olympia Roasting Co's Big Truck.

Did try Olympia's Christmas Blend. Pretty nice - tastes like Big Truck with a bit of the Banko for sweetness.

Interesting that Creative thought it was a bit too acidic. However, I have to admit that my favorite way to have espresso is with a little steamed breve... I'm sure that cuts the acidity down quite a bit.

I've been sticking with the Cremina at home. Using a Hx at the office.

Again, glad to hear you're enjoying Banko.

Rick