Microcimbali/Liberty, maybe wrong baskets?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
cuppajoe

#1: Post by cuppajoe »

Have been working with the Microcimbali and wondering if it might have come with the wrong baskets. After a pull, the basket looks like this -

There is coffee forced up the sides clear to the top. This was the double basket dosed with 16 grams and firmly tamped. The grinder is the PeDe Mokka set to fine. I've played with various doses, grinds, and tamps, and they all come out looking something like this. My routine has been to turn both elements on, wait or it to start whistling, turn off 1000W element, bleed some steam, then dose the basket and pull the shot. This lets the machine idle for about 5 minutes. This last time I held the lever down for a 15 count, did a partial raise, then held down for a 10 count, and release. It took about 32 seconds for the lever to fully raise. The coffee was actually not bad and had a good bit of creme. The screen looked like this -

If I take the basket and hold it up to the shower head, there is lots of side to side play. I tried Elektra and Pavoni baskets, though while fitting the shower head better, won't fit with the portafilter. I also tried the single basket that came with it with a 7 gram dose and got the same thing. It fits loose as well. It also seems to be from a different manufacturer than the double, which has the same shape as an early Micro Casa basket. As the filler cap wasn't original, wondering if the baskets that came with it are improper. What few photos I could find of the OEM basket looked different than what I have. More slope sided as opposed to the straight sides on mine.

Hopefully will get some insight on this. It's getting pretty frustrating.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

grog

#2: Post by grog »

Perhaps you have 49mm baskets instead of 51mm? No way to know without measuring of course. Or they could be the proper diameter but just not work. For example, the Comocafe uses 49mm baskets. I discovered that Riviera baskets work perfectly, but 49mm Pavoni or Elektra do not. Why, I don't know. I've never measured to see if one is 49.5 or something like that.
LMWDP #514

cuppajoe (original poster)

#3: Post by cuppajoe (original poster) »

Here's a couple of pics of the two baskets. The double has an inside diameter of 51mm and is 26mm tall. The single is 51.5mm ID. Both have flat lips. The shower head is 49.4mm OD. Also noticed that the way the holes are punched is a bit different between the two.

Dropped the dose down to 14.8 grams and did a heavy tamp. Tho this seems counter to what I've been reading(mostly for La Pavonis, etc., not much out there on the Micro), finally getting some decent shots and the puck looks much better.

I also have been adjusting the nut at the top of the piston rod, which seems to adjust the height of the piston in the cylinder when the lever is at rest. So far have not found anything pertaining to this adjustment for the Micro.

David - LMWDP 448

jmarcus

#4: Post by jmarcus »

Hi Cuppajoe,
Just reading your post I have a couple of comments. I have never adjusted the nut you mentioned in your post. I have a La Cimbali Liberty. I do not hold the lever down so long, at the most I hold it down for a count of five. Currently I'm using a shot weight of 14.5 grams with a finer grind, so when I tamp I don't get the divots from the screen attachment nuts. It took me a while to get the timing right but its around 30 seconds now.

I'm sure you have seen this link: http://www.orphanespresso.com/La-Cimbal ... 551-1.html

I'm wondering if maybe your Portafilter Gasket might need replacing?

James

cuppajoe (original poster)

#5: Post by cuppajoe (original poster) »

Hi James -

Thanks for the input, looks like I'm heading in the right direction with dose and tamp. Have only recently gotten the machine up and running after a complete rebuild - Array/forums/microcimbali-t27768.html. All seals and gaskets were replaced.

Could find nothing on adjusting the limit nut for the piston rod. Have done it on La Pavoni clones, but they are direct levers instead of spring, so not sure if it would be the same. Spring levers infuse on the down stroke, and direct levers on the up. Infuses with the piston 'up' in both cases.

Will try a shorter infusion as well.
David - LMWDP 448